do i get a new bar and chain or new studs?? McCullough 250 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keatons

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i just got a brand new Oregan 20-inch bar and chain for my McCullough 250 and I went to put it on and the studs were too big (also the package said it fit McCullough not specific models or anything on amazon) , so the question is do I get smaller studs or return the bar and spend $10 more to get the right bar and chain?? what do you think, let me know, thanks- keaton

If you're comfortable with some tinkering, smaller studs could work. Just be sure they fit your McCulloch 250. If the hassle seems too much, returning for the right set might save you time and headaches.

The bar is probably intended for a saw with smaller diameter bar studs. The McCulloch 10 Series and 600 Series have 5/16" or 8 mm bar studs, the smaller saws have 1/4" or 6.3 or 6 mm bar studs.

Save that bar and chain for an appropriate saw, and keep looking for a bar that actually fits the 3/8" bar studs on your 250. I would not change the bar studs in any case.

If you absolutely must run that 20" bar on the 250, consider widening the bar slot with a file. Just make sure the oiler and adjuster holes will line up with your 250 before you start messing with the bar. It is also possible to "adjust" the oiler and adjuster holes with a round file provided they are close in the first place.

Most of the time, the 250 would have been equipped with a spur type sprocket and .404 pitch chain. Your new combination is probably 3/8 pitch chain and won't fit the sprocket on the 250 anyway.

Mark

Yes, the 250 will handle a 20" bar with .404 chain just fine. One benefit of the .404 is you can see the profile of the teeth more clearly as you learn to file the chain.

Remember that the 250 is manual oiler only so start working on building up your right thumb...

Mark

No, I modified it to make it much easier to start shortly after I was given it.

Many years later I got much lighter saws that are better for my needs. Was given an old 026 and inherited a MSA160C. The MAC and a rebranded Poulan are backups. Also have a couple of electric saws I use regularly.

Check out the post I referenced. Basically cracks the throttle when choke is engaged.

kd - You've never worked on a McCulloch 250, there are no 5/16" or M8 replacement studs that can be fit easily to the saw. It would require some custom machining which Keaton does not have at his disposal right now. Just getting to the bar studs on that saw is a major undertaking, requiring removal of the fuel tank cover, getting the old gasket off, new gasket, and then hoping is seals back up again once you install your custom studs.

1706888380789.png

Either use the bar & chain on another saw, file the slot to fit the 3/8" studs, or send it back.

Mark

Back