Do we need to have a Georgia GTG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...I'm finally recovered and somewhat back to normal-

First off, let me commend the host and hostess- what a great event!!!! Tammi (sp?) was tremendous and scurried behind the scenes to make things happen. Herm, I think she's a keeper.

Second, the venue was perfect. The combination of rows of saws, and airplanes where there weren't saws was a great juxtaposition.

Third, the AS brotherhood was on display. I've communicated both publicly and private with many members over the years but this was my first time laying eyes on any of you. Well, my eyes are still recovering from the mugs, but the pleasure was mine in meeting everyone of you!! Zog is definitely marching to his own drum, Randy doesn't talk nearly as much as you might expect, John is the brains behind MM saws, and lil' John is a hoot!!!

I was late getting there but it was definitely worth the drive. My brother who is an occasional AS lurker had a blast (Randy, he was very impressed with your willingness to share your knowledge). What we learned was this- big boys from south Georgia are too heavy for non-powered flight. The weight limit was 220 lbs and we both surpassed that mark. That was something we were looking forward to trying. It still gave me chill bumps every time the crop duster went roaring by with the glider in tow (and the tow plane's pilot was a lady!!!)

Now for the saws- there were lots of them!!! I didn't get to run near enough since we were almost three o'clock arriving. By the time we talked a little and ran a few saws, and tried to stow away on the glider, it was time to round up my herd and head back south.

-Randy's 3210 was a monster.
-I wish Herm's 070 had be running well as I wanted to compare it to the 125.
-Zog's PP was sweet if tuned a bit rich.
-If you can find a Redmax 4000, I highly suggest you buy it for a 40cc saw- very impressive stock.
-there were a couple of big Homies (750/650) as well as an Olympic that I wanted to try but didn't get to.
-there were ported 346's everywhere!!
-I regret that I didn't get to run the Grenade 066 (066 with and 056 top-end, ported of course!)
-I saw a MM 346 hand it to a MM 261 repeatedly and by half the cant most of the time (I'm sure the 261 had chain issues!! HAHAHA!!!!)
-when Mac 125's run, everybody stops and watches. Randy was the first to cut with it and it didn't look too impressive. But after a few cookies, it looked like it hit another gear. It was great to see everyone gather around and listen to the old metal do it's thing.

I hit the bed after midnight, got up and went to church, came home, ate and slept the rest of the afternoon!!!

Unfortunately, Monday was not so great. I backed the truck up to the shop and unloaded the saws. Then jumped in and pulled off, running over my 10YO son's 6wk old German Shepard. I've been back and forth to the vet for surgery, etc... It looks like he is going to loose some of the ball of his hip bone, but dogs seem to do well with the surgery (FHO- femoral head ostectomy). Kid's are great- after he asked if the dog died, he asked if I cried (of course I didn't, I just had a tiny bit of seepage that was probably due to allergens!!), and then he wanted to know if he was going to get a set of wheels to walk on!!!!!

Again, thanks to Herm and Groundie for a great time.

Oh man, that sucks about the puppy. My lil cuttin buddy at the GTG, the blond cheerleader with the skirt, Annie, has been hit once by a truck in the street, smashed her head to a glob (now she can't hear) then later had her rear quarters run over and smashed by a big truck hauling a tractor and baler. She was asleep in the driveway and the dude driving claimed he never saw a pure white dog laying there, never even bothered to say he was sorry or offer to pay vet bills. One of those go go GO! time is money guys.... I am not fond of that guy, but he is the boss's old friend so I just shutup about it...

She recovered both times. I call her my miracle doggie. Plenty of praying went on. I was the vet both times.

Below: Later in the afternoon another group of saws arrive.
From left Neal Murphy's brother, Seth (with gray shirt), Cory (next to yellow pail), Renae, Neal Murphy (nmurphy) and Jason Garland with UGA shirt.
View attachment 369834 View attachment 369832
Above: Lil Jon goes for a sailplane ride. On tow behind Piper Pawnee cropduster towplane

Below: Shea teaching his son Fisher on a Husky
View attachment 369835

I thought it was a good saw to start him with, when he grows up he can have a Stihl. Randy told me Husquvarna stood for 'beginner saw'.

Shea

We had a black German shepherd pup that we drove our car right over the top of when she was a little pup about 3 months old. (left a tire track on her) We thought she was going to die but she recovered after a week or so and then some years later when she was quite old, I drove the truck right over the top of her. for some reason she didn't move out of the way. (and I didn't see her). She lived through that too. Dogs are tough.

Those of you that already sent an address for the dvd of pics, those are on their way. Anyone else that wants one, please let us know where to mail it.

Wish I was there too...sounds like the food was awesome! But way too far for me to travel.
You guys are lucky and sound like a great mixed crew of dudes.
Wife would have hated it though. She's scared of chain saws.
We have stuff happening around here, but nothing like what was laid out there.

Thought I would drag this thread out of its slumber in case anyone is considering coming to the GTG this Saturday and needs some further encouragement. The new info for the Spring 2015 Georgia GTG is in the stickies section on top of the first page.

Latest posts

Back