Dolmar 6100 recoil issues?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BirdDawg3205

BirdDawg3205

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi all.... long time lurker here. The recoil on my Dolmar 6100 will not retract after being pulled to start the saw, say every 10th pull. When this happens, I have to pull the cover off and then, by simply loosening the big flat-head screw that holds the recoil to the cover (about 1/16 of a turn or so), the recoil retracts back into place and is ready to go. Replace the cover..... cut wood.... ten pulls or so later (after turning off the saw a couple of times) and the recoil does not retract again..... repeat.

I have not taken the recoil off of the cover yet by taking the big flat-head screw all the way out, in fear that some spring will fly across the shop (and I want to be sure I can get it back together again, as you know how some recoils can be on some machines).

Anyone have an idea as to what might be going on here? Keep in mind that after I loosen screw a touch and reassemble, the recoil works as should and the spring seems strong. Although, now that I think about it, often on the first pull (cold saw or not), the pull cord does not move at all.... which I kinda thought was because of good compression.... but maybe not.... because on the second pull, it always pulls nicely. IDK, maybe that another sign of a problem.

Thanks in advance.

U&A

The Millstead LLC
Blue loctite with the bolt tightened correctly

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A

The Millstead LLC
Thanks. I guess I'll give that a try, unless someone else decides to respond and changes my mind....

Yah i don’t know man.

I had that problem on a real old saw and doing that fixed it. But not sure if it was the right way to do it[emoji1303][emoji41]

BirdDawg3205

BirdDawg3205

ArboristSite Lurker
Yah i don’t know man.

I had that problem on a real old saw and doing that fixed it. But not sure if it was the right way to do it[emoji1303][emoji41]

Looks like I will be trying that, since my question didn't seem to draw much interest!?!?! Thanks. And it does seem that the fastener with the flat head is somehow tightening just enough upon pulling the recoil cord to not let it retract.

BirdDawg3205

BirdDawg3205

ArboristSite Lurker
Take it all apart and clean good. Steve
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I haven't had time to mess with it since posting my question, so I will clean before I try some loctite. Maybe that's all it needs, and I kind of wondered if some crud had worked its way under the spool anyhow. Thanks for taking the time to help out!

Latest posts