Dolmar 6400-7900 HD Air Filter FIXes!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know some have had problems with the HD air filter on their 6400-7900 series makita/dolmar. I'm starting this thread for fixes that others have used or are willing to provide.

Problems:
1.) filter clogs with provided grey pre-filter sleeve
2.) filter falls off base: due to inadequate glue holding the paper media to the plastic

Fixes:
1a) don't use the pre filter sleeve, it's mostly overkill anyhow
1b) make a prefilter yourself out of a sheet of OCF (open cell foam) it can be pulled and cleaned easier than the provided prefilter.
1c.) I have a friend that has a small CO2 gun for blowing off his filters 1/2 way through the day... Seems to work for him...

2a) Glue filter back down with something more substantial. I have found that my industrial hotmelt gun does an amazingly good job holding the filter down. My dad says the glue works better on porus surfaces and will release from the plastic air filter base over time or in humid weather. Time will tell...

That being said I'm willing to make some more prefilter sleeves and glue anyones filter back down for them free! Just need to get the filter to and from my place... I'd like to make a couple trial pre-filters and send them out for testing before I make a ton of them! Run them through the paces and some heavy fall cutting and all. Not sure how I want to seal the sleeve seam... glue or maybe melt it... IDK yet...

Back