Dolmar Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMyank

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post. I am rather new to chainsaws. I want to purchase a chainsaw for cutting firewood and have been reading all the posts. Of course I want a good saw. but not pay a lot for it. I have narrowed it down to Stihl MS039 or MS280, but am also considering the Dolmar 5100S. Can anyone tell me more about the Dolmar company? Are they dependable, few repairs, few recalls, etc.? How do they rank as far as popularity in the US and other countries? Thanks.

This is my first post. I am rather new to chainsaws. I want to purchase a chainsaw for cutting firewood and have been reading all the posts. Of course I want a good saw. but not pay a lot for it. I have narrowed it down to Stihl MS039 or MS280, but am also considering the Dolmar 5100S. Can anyone tell me more about the Dolmar company? Are they dependable, few repairs, few recalls, etc.? How do they rank as far as popularity in the US and other countries? Thanks.

Go on line to dolmar.com. Learn about the company. As for the saws, I love mine. A lot of saw for less money. Well made and runs well.:chainsaw:

Dolmars are German-made saws. There are two models that are particularly well-liked by the folks here...the 5100S and the 7900. They cost substantially less, but will equal or exceed the performance of similar offerings from Stihl. The only drawbacks seem to be finding a supportive, knowledgeable dealer and uncertain perceived long-term reliablilty. However, if either of these saws had a Stihl logo on them and maintained the exact same design and price, they would most certainly be the top selling saws in their respective classes.

Hardest part with the Dolmar is finding a decent dealer. Do to Dolmars site and find a close dealer. If he doesnt have a 5100 in stock, he can get one the next day. Any dealer that tells you otherwise is a joke and doesnt deserve your business.

The 5100 is more saw for the money than the Sithls listed. Good luck

I have an 039 and it is not a bad saw. I wish I had found this site before I bought if and bought the almighty 361 but I didnt do enough research before I bought. The muffler mod really woke up the 039 and I still use it ofter but now that I have the 5100/7900 combo I grab one of them first every time. I have a local dolmar dealer so the parts are not an issue with my situation but with some of the people on this site getting parts shipped shouldn't be a problem anyway. I would get another dolmar or stihl anytime. Eventually I will probably have a few husky's too it just depends on what I run into.

Hardest part with the Dolmar is finding a decent dealer. Do to Dolmars site and find a close dealer. If he doesnt have a 5100 in stock, he can get one the next day. Any dealer that tells you otherwise is a joke and doesnt deserve your business.

The 5100 is more saw for the money than the Sithls listed. Good luck

We talked about my story. Dolmar wants to sell saws so bad that they will bend over backwards to keep you happy. I had a saw with a bad carb and they sent me a new saw, I was so happy I bought another with A bigger bar and so far so good, no problems. I just wish they would catch husky on their filtration system, Have to blow out the carbs at least twice a day.

Whats an MS 390 go for, $500? For that money the Dolmar 7300 will whoop all over the 390. Cant really compare the 390 and 5100, the 390 costs a lot more and has a lot more cc's

I have a dole mar or three. They are very good dependable saws (old sachs and new). Biggest things that go wrong are carb kits and fuel lines. Around me up until a couple years ago, there was only one dealer in a four county radius that stocked any kind of saws or parts. With the new distribution system, more dealers are popping up.

The 120si is a great older Sachs Dolmar too.......

Yes, and lots of others.

..... Are they dependable, few repairs, few recalls, etc.? ....

Dolmar has been making very good saws for a very long time - there is no reason to question their ability to make long lasting and reliable saws. :)

Last edited:
The 120si is a great older Sachs Dolmar too.......

+1 My go too saw. All my Dolmars are older generation sach's. I'd like to have a new one (7900) and see how it does against my 143MX but I just can't wear these out. :cheers:

Back