dues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bc logger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so does anyone in b.c. have any feedback on the lies that worksafe BC has told us that when we had to be tested and certified as fallers it was a onetime cost and test. now it seems we have to pay a yearly fee and can look forward to the stress of possible retesting. i think this could be the start of more money grabbing. seems since we became certified that the number of falling deaths and injuries have gone way up. i would love to hear other peoples thought on this.

I am not a faller, but I fall trees once in a while, mostly I climb and run a bucket. I have a fairly good understanding of proper falling procedures though. I have worked with and been taught things by experienced fallers, who fell long before the certification thing came about.

I have a lot of respect for good fallers. The W.C.B. (that is there real and legal name. not Worksafe B.C.) is determined to look good through this program. The guys who were grandfathered I have no problem with, but just because someone got the ticket who never production fell wood, well.....

So, yes, its a money grab, among other things. I hate some people at the W.C.B., hate the way they treat people who were hurt at work. People who really worked, producing, not screwing over injured people like them. Heartless mutts, supposed to help, but who do not help and continue the suffering of the deserving.

So yes, I believe they will keep it up and keep collecting money, like your drivers licence, but worse. So, no dutchmen and don't backbar your saw.

Good luck to you and stay safe.

every proffessional association wants to extract dues from its members... if the money was put into pension funds or retraining for injured workers thats fine, but compo just wants your money in any way it can get it... as a forestry climber, there's nothing in the way of certification.... i'm not certified to fall a tree, but as soon as i put my strap around it and climb up a little ways i can 'top' it....a few of us climbers have talked about setting up our own regulations before they get handed to us by those who know #### about it...

If your certification is run by the government it is not a surprise that injuries and death increased.
The bureaucrats cannot understand that certified does not equal qualified.
I remember when the commercial drivers license (CDL) went into effect in the US. The quality of truck drivers has been on a steady decline ever since. Now employers have to hire drivers based on their license instead of their ability.

I know literally dozens of guys that have failed the CDL test, but my bosses brother(about as good of a woodsman as you will find east) who can not even read managed to pass his CDL test with flying colors 100%.

He has taught me allot about hinging hardwoods!

The bureaucrats cannot understand that certified does not equal qualified.

Exactly right. If certification happens here it won't really make any difference in safety. People will still get hurt and people will still get killed...no matter how much government mandated training they have. I'm talking about production falling here. I don't know enough about fire work to comment on it.

There's never going to be a day when there isn't risk involved in logging...in spite of what the government wants.

If I'm looking for a faller I'll know pretty quick if he knows his job. A training course and a card in his wallet doesn't replace experience and common sense.

Certification might provide some good training for a greenhorn but it would be like a learner's permit. Once you get out in the woods you find out how things really work and all the safety videos and lectures and pamphlets would just be a starting point to keeping yourself in one piece. Kinda like school...book learning and practical experience aren't hardly ever the same.

Last edited:
perhaps the one bonus about certification is that there'll be fewer fallers entering the industry, therefore driving up the wages...which haven't changed much since the 80's...nowadays you gotta jump thru them hoops...

Latest posts

Back