Eastern Hemlock Harvest -- Woolly Adelgid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will really show my ignorance, but here it goes:

What do you mean by timber stock?

We have enough Hemlocks I would like to eventually mill lumber for a building. No $$ resources at the moment for a mill but am considering it. If there is a chance I could mill this "timber stock" myself, that may be worth considering.

This will really show my ignorance, but here it goes:

What do you mean by timber stock?

We have enough Hemlocks I would like to eventually mill lumber for a building. No $$ resources at the moment for a mill but am considering it. If there is a chance I could mill this "timber stock" myself, that may be worth considering.

Timber stck means logs that are straight that can be milled into timbers for use in Timber frame houses or buildings or they also make bridge timbers.Basically timber stock is straight usually 12" tip diameter (small end) and larger and they need to be sound (no rot) and the good thing is they aren't bothered by knots as long as theyaren't really large 4" or less but different mills have differnt specs. You could keep some of the logs yourself and have someone with a portable mill come and mill them if you have a use for the wood.

Thanks for your help.

I am planning to make some calls tomorrow and see what I come up with. I have been trying to do this on my own and since we don't live up in that area, I haven't been able to make a lot of contacts.

Update:
Spoke with the county forester. Most PA sawmills are independent with limited regulation. Mostly a do what you want state I guess.

Did speak with 2 mills today and got leads for 3 more. One is amish and I am planning to drive up tomorrow (45min one way) since he has no phone. He is a softwood specific mill so will see what happens.

Thank you Lonnie.

I did speak with someone today from a company that builds log homes and has a sawmill. They said they are definitely interested in looking at the timber. I hope to hear from them tomorrow.

Thats greeat wish ya the best...... The smaller mills here can't get enough of the stuff....Alone with white pines....Im getting ready to clear cut round 2 or so ackers here with white pine and poplars..Will be easy to get rid of the stuff..

Isn't that the way it goes. One part of the country is starving for stuff another part of the country practically can't give away. :dizzy:

Our Tulip Popular is around $.70/board foot right now. I read in another thread that it's junk in the area the poster lives.

Saw Mill

Here's the latest in case there was anyone following this.

Met with a saw mill today. And the plan:
I am to fell, limb, buck and stage the logs.
They will pick up the logs and charge me approx. $250 for delivery (110 mi. round trip.
They have given me a sheet with lengths & diameters they want.
He is going to let me work at me own pace and to let him know when I have a load ready.

I think I'm going to do this. The price will work out to be about 27 cents/board foot average before delivery. He will supply a triaxle with a grapple. I have about 6 weeks of healing yet from surgery and I plan to get a 441 and get started. I have a small track loader and should be all set.

There are hundreds of trees that meet the minimum DBH requirement. Man, I'm a little excited about giving this a go!:cool:

iam in

pay for my ticket ill fly there and drop some trees with you....its my dream to do some good logging like that....just no career in it......boy do i want to just go drop some trees...........take pics and post em keep us in the loop...good luck

Thanks for the responses. I just starte a thread about this with a few questions on it.

I'm planning to give Rob (Northern Tool Washer Guy) a call when I get ready to start.

Back