Echo 302 chainsaw, finally running!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Str3atWarrior

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been given an old Echo CS-302 chainsaw from a coworker. It was in non-working condition, and he wanted to throw it in garbage when it stopped working on him. Since i'm the kind of guy that loves fixing everything by himself, i decided to grab it and give it a shot. I started by hooking up my compression tester on it, and got a fairly good result (150 psi)

First problem i got with this saw : The fuel lines had melted from carb to the tank, and the one in the tank was rotten. Got some green plastic line at my local parts store, cleaned the tank good, cleaned the strainer good, and installed the new lines. Tried to start the machine but it was a no go.

I then started playing with the adjustments, still a no go. Dismounted the carb to find out that the diaphragm was ripped, and all the seals were either ripped or dry. So i went on and ordered a rebuild kit for it, costed me 7$ shipped so it was not a big deal if i couldn't get it working. It arrived a week later. I proceeded to clean the carb like new and replaced all the gasket. Reinstalled everything, still no go, i was able to get the saw to run about 5 seconds and then it was stalling. I realised that the gasket between the head of the engine and the plastic part was ripped in half, and same for the one between the plastic and the carb. Tried to find thoses online, but it was a no go, so i made them using some Right Stuff.

After that, the saw was running on idle, and for 2-3 seconds at full throttle, but was then stalling and cutting. No problem for it to idle, but no matters how i was adjusting the carb, the thing would not work whenever i hit the throttle. At that point, i was about to give up. Started looking online, and found this forum. While reading, i found a post talking about carbon buildup in exhaust muffler... Such a basic thing that i should've checked but it never occured me before reading that post. So i went back in the garage, removed the exhaust and there it was, all that gunky stuff clogging the exhaust. Got my torch out, and heated this little thing until no more smoke was coming out. While the muffler was out, i checked the piston, it was clean, rings were perfect. Put everything back together, and after adjusting the carb, it's now working like a new one!

All around, this baby is costing me 7$ for the lines, and another 7$ for the rebuild kit. They're calling for rain all week here so i won't be able to test it, but it sure seems to have some power!

Oh yeah, does somebody know where i could find a gas cap for this chainsaw? My coworker lost it long ago and was using a corkscrew, but i don't like the idea, and since it's now working good, i figure that investing in the correct cap is a good idea... I'm also missing an air filter, but i'll cut myself a plate tomorrow at shop and weld a tube on it, to be able to install one of those little air filter for small pocket bike.

A 302 is a good saw. I have a Craftsman 1.8 relabeled one that a friend gave me. I cleaned the carb, points, and put a new line on it and it ran good...until it gets hot. Compression on mine is very low.

I'll be using this one mainly to keep my yard clean, and ocasionally to cut some wood for my outdoor fireplace i made last year... 24x24 hexagonal fireplace sure burn alot of wood!

Got any pictures of the saw? I have a bunch of saw gas caps, you probably be off getting one form someone else until I get I get my shop done everything is in boxes.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the gas gap o-ring in the tank in the cleaning process, so if i can't find a gas cap, i was thinking about getting a bolt with the same thread, and drilling a really small hole in the middle, like 1/16 or the smallest one i can find in the shop, and then just put the o-ring on that...

I found the gas gap o-ring in the tank in the cleaning process, so if i can't find a gas cap, i was thinking about getting a bolt with the same thread, and drilling a really small hole in the middle, like 1/16 or the smallest one i can find in the shop, and then just put the o-ring on that...
thats a pretty big hole for dirt to be sucked thru. I would think you need to filter the gas vent breather in some way. I will take a quick look and see if I have them in a easy to find place.
Brian

Edit Sorry I didn't find any thing. But your post did get me to pull out my KIORITZ ECHO CS-452VL running 404 chain. For some reason my gramps was saving this saw so better do some research on it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back