Echo CS-600P Testing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, I quit a little early in the shop today and spent some more time with the CS-600P. Had a nasty twisted Cherry tree in a fence row that needed to come out, and I wanted to put some more time on the saw to fully seat things in. That deal went pretty well till I hit piece of barb wire and messed the chain up a bit.

Since that sent me to the shop to either fetch another saw or sharpen this one, I couldn't resist the urge to grab the Husqvarna 262XP and set-up a log for testing against the CS-600P.

I'll say this that before the testing even started the CS-600P just feels stronger than the 262XP. Hardly scientific in the least, but my gut told me the 600P was stronger and faster than the 262XP.

I'll also add here that my testing is slightly flawed in a couple of ways. The 262XP has an 18" bar and full chisel chain 68 drive links, the 600P is pulling a 20" bar with 70 drive links and the same type of chain. Spent a few minutes to sharpen both chains, top both off with the same fuel, etc. I also didn't have anyone around to run the stop watch, so I had to start it while holding the saw, then make my cuts, then reach up quickly and hit the stop watch. So that little deal alone may have altered the results very slightly, but I was very careful to use the same procedures for both saws, and made three cuts each for each test.

Anyhow, I went to the wood pile and found some dry/hard Ash from last summer and set up a big hunk of it for testing. Got it well supported and warmed up the 262XP and made three cuts, then did the same with the 600P. For the first test I ran them without "pushing" them really hard, keeping them in the good power and only allowing them to pull hard enough to cut as fast as possible without "lugging" or letting the rpms drop out of the good power.

For the first test the 262XP made the three cuts in 44.63 seconds.

The first test for the 600P made three cuts in 39.17 seconds.

Second test the saws were "pushed" really hard pulling them down into the mid-range and lugging them pretty hard, but not allowing them to stall against the clutch or come out of the "good power". I pushed them both as hard as their power curves would allow without dogging them out, so to speak.

For this test the 262XP made 3 cuts in 47.71 seconds.

The 600P followed by making 3 cuts in 40.57 seconds.

Well, can't say as I'm jumping for joy or doing back-flips here, but at least my initial testing, even though it has a few flaws in it, shows GREAT potential for the Echo CS-600P.

I'd also add here that the 262XP is stone stock, no modifications anywhere aside from tuning the L and H screws. The CS-600P has the limiter caps removed and I ground the restriction out of the plate under the deflector on the muffler, otherwise it is stock as well.

I posted this same information at the end of the CS-590MM thread, but wanted to start a new thread on the CS-600P as well......Cliff

IMG_0708.JPG IMG_0708.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 16
No plans on porting the CS-590 or the CS-600P. Both have PLENTY of power for the cc's just tuning them and opening up the deflector under the guide on the muffler. I really can't even tell that the modification to the CS-590 really helped it, as the guide was larger and taller than the one used on the CS-600P.

I went into the IPL's and ordered all the muffler guides currently available for all serial number ranges of those saws. Hopefully the later design will show up since it's taller, wider and less restrictive than the early part......Cliff

The Echo is close in size and weight to a ms440.

Well, if that's the case, then so are the other 60cc saws. With fluids, they are a lot closer in weight than most guys want to admit:

Husky 562xp__PHO: 13 lb_______Fuel: 22 oz____Oil: 11.83 oz___TTL: 15.11 lb.
Stihl ms362___PHO: 13 lb, 3.2 oz.__Fuel: 20.3 oz__Oil: 11 oz_____TTL: 15.16 lb.
Echo cs-590___PHO: 13 lb, 3.2 oz.__Fuel: 21.8 oz__Oil: 10.1 oz____TTL: 15.19 lb.
Echo cs-600p__PHO: 13 lb, 4.8 oz.__Fuel: 21.8 oz__Oil: 10.1 oz____TTL: 15.29 lb.

I don't have numbers for a 440 written down but I do have numbers for a 441 and it is more than 2 lbs. heavier than any of the saws above:

Stihl ms441___PHO: 15lb, 1 oz._____Fuel: 24.5 oz__Oil: 12.2 oz____
TTL: 17.36 lb.

I spent some time with the CS-590 after work today cutting a load of firewood for the shop. For sure it runs very well, but it doesn't feel as strong as the CS-600P. Of course any "seat of the pants" assessments would hardly tell us much, so for the next test I'm going to run the CS-590 against the CS-600P. My 600P is an early version, and the IPL shows that it uses a different P/C than the later ones, which share the same P/C as the CS-590's. Not sure why they would have used different P/C's, among other parts, but at least we'll find out if the early 600's have any advantages over the 590's in stock form.

If the 600P outruns the 590, which I suspect it will, then I'll run the 590 against the 262XP. It would be cool if a sub $400 saw would outrun the 262XP. I've got less than $350 in mine delivered to the door.......Cliff

What l find quite interesting is we are comparing a saw that was released 26years ago and went out of production 20years ago to current model saws. Thats OK, fine etc, but it is surely a factor that must be considered when doing these comparisons. What is interesting is 262xp being near 3 decades older than a 590/600 looks smaller, more ergonomic and has prooven 'the test of time' as a pro saw choice. I think for echo to really penetrate the pro market they need to at least provide a package that stands above not below what its competitiors like husky were doing 25-30 years ago. Just my opinion.

The 262xp certainly has survived the test of time, and proven itself to be a great saw. Problem is, they are NLA, and more recent models have not proven themselves to be nearly as good as the 262xp.

The other neat thing about the newer Echo offerings is that they are much lower cost than 60cc Pro offerings from the other big names. Of course no one knows if they will stand the test of time, but at least we know they are making the grade as far as engine power and cutting performance is concerned.

Basically, you have to start someplace, so I picked up a couple of Echo 60cc offerings and am running them to see how they stack up, so far I'm pretty impressed, time will tell if they really "make the grade"......Cliff

I have a the current model cs550p and it has some good things about it like pretty good AV, winds up to 13500k, good on fuel with good power for displacement so yamabiko is getting some of what is required of a good saw in there. But I also have a 550xp, Ms261, 555, 675/681solo and 6400. The first three are significantly smaller and the others similar in size have a ton more power. So my cs550p looks pretty new and is not a go-to saw as it kinda don't make sense surounded by other pro saws. Its not a bad saw at all, it will cut wood all day long doing a good job and be nice to run but l have choices, thats why it don't get used much.

Back