Echo CS501SXM carburetor swap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting on the final base cut hopefully tonight. It lost sixty off the bottom. Less from the matched band. Squish is now a respectable 20% verses zero before. Running out of casting area became the limiting factors or it would be cut near 0.072 not 0.060. The exhaust could be wider minus the second ring. It is as close as I dare to the end. It should do no wrong. Carb needed exstensive port work to get where it needs to be. No swap was found without exstensive changes. Hopefully tuning is a none issue. Nothing crazy just trying new things in a work saw taken from the racing worlds like usual. Added a few new tricks designed into better toys made from more modern tech todays manufacturers offer. Exceeded what I though was possible with the exhaust. It could be taken upto ninty nine and still cut sixty ;-)

Attachments

• 20230208_164305.jpg
    20230208_164305.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
For whatever reasons I don't get to see these threads till they are halfway done. Any way it's a wt series carb. Grab a 669, 990, 1107 or any of those will out flow about any port work you can do to a saw. We use the 990 amd 1107 on 40-50 cc rc engines making way more power then a similar sized saw engine.

For whatever reasons I don't get to see these threads till they are halfway done. Any way it's a wt series carb. Grab a 669, 990, 1107 or any of those will out flow about any port work you can do to a saw. We use the 990 amd 1107 on 40-50 cc rc engines making way more power then a similar sized saw engine.
Please elaborate on these carbs more.
I don't have time today to chase parts.
My plan was to move it up a size but nothing I found will fit the linkage or swap shafts to make it work.
With all the chatter going on it appears I'm being left out. It's not surprising to me at all. This one got ported.
Any pics? Venturi sizes?

I play with 1/5 scale rc cars. They run 2 stroke engines. All the carbs I mentioned are walbro wt series carbs. As far as I know most parts interchange in the wt series. Can't remember venturi sizes off the top of my head, but I've swapped shafts around with Minimal effort to make larger butterflies fit from smaller carb shafts. Dave's discount motors is a good place with the information on venturi sizes. There's a few modified versions out there with ventures bored and high flow fuel mods.

I play with 1/5 scale rc cars. They run 2 stroke engines. All the carbs I mentioned are walbro wt series carbs. As far as I know most parts interchange in the wt series. Can't remember venturi sizes off the top of my head, but I've swapped shafts around with Minimal effort to make larger butterflies fit from smaller carb shafts. Dave's discount motors is a good place with the information on venturi sizes. There's a few modified versions out there with ventures bored and high flow fuel mods.
Thanks

The carb is still the original just bigger now, ported.
Today it was just fueled and fired up again. This is the first cut.

Got two tanks through it after that. Idol goes up and it's fourstroking pretty good. It only had maybe a tank through it mostly idoling before it was ported. The carb responded really well and it isn't finicky or touchy. It needs a better air filter system now. Possibly external to catch the fines in a oil foam element.

Tldr

Tuned pig fat on the very first cut. Next time it will have a better chain. Stock 325 loop of semi chisel on it. Tuned it better on tank two and three. It pulls hard in that dead dry ash. Cut a bunch of black locust on the third tank about 22" and it was coming around nicely. Nextweek maybe it has a chisel loop on it of something a bit more aggressive. Oh, btw it's base cut 60 and the band is 13° now on the chamber. The piston is near 11° in that area. You see the 0.090 margin there on the piston? That is the quench area about 20% of total bore area. It has a nice billet muffler outlet that came in with it. The muffler exit port is 80% of the piston window area at the exhaust port.

Wrist pin clips in these are questionable imho. This one has new OEM Stihl clips in it now. The piston pin bore had some serious issues and the wrist pin had to be beaten out. The one clip was jammed in a bur in the clip area. Even with the burs gone the wrist pin was seized good on both sides. We figured the plating from the piston coatings got in there. It was honed till it floats nicely as it should. Three bottom corners of the piston skirt had razors edges removed, not good. One ring in it for now. These aren't anything but cheapo cast iron jobs from the factory. It might be getting Stihl, Caber or another quality brand if the OEM becomes a problem down the road. This saw is local so it will be messed with again especially the air filter. It's passing fines with a felt filter. This dry wood could kill it with the mesh filter installed, I'm sure.

The owner is tickled pink.
He is also very very happy with his 600SX that runs a 28" b&c. That is ported with a nice foam filter in it. That saw is impressive for 59ccs. And no it has no machine work and it is near stock compression basically. The base was cut just enough to true it up. The quench is not touched and it's only out 0.002 now. It does have a 0.004 base gasket, dual port muffler, and nothing else. Stock carb, tiny thing there, and the stock inlet area just cleared out some. It needs a bigger carburetor imo.

The 7310 there is just a muffler mod and a tiny timing bump. It needs more later. It wanted nothing to do with 8° igntion advance or even 6°, oddball.

^ Same deal for the 492 as the 7310 ^

An almost new CS501 is sitting there waiting to be sold or ported and sold. It only had a few tanks through it but no heated handles 😔 The man wants heated handles on everything now. Building him a ported custom artic 660 next from one of my none artic 660s I've had for years. Two more left after that and they are going full monty then sold. He needs to fill the gap between the 1200 and the 7310. The 1201 is still on the bench NOS complete bought new as parts. It's getting done up eventually.

These little Echos and Shindiawa saws are fun to do but require some time to figure out in the first one of each model and cylinder type. This carburetor was way too small. It has been opened quite a bit now. Ported entry, ported venturi, thinned shafts, knifed butterflies and tapered out the back to meet the boot ring 17mm there. Doing the 501 was a challenge to stay within the exhaust casting area. Exhaust is 103° now but could be 99°. Getting that port to wrap around was different. The cylinder was out of square on the skirt 0.004 and 0.003 on the base. Surprisingly the quench area was straight, short and flat but 0.068 out there, way out there! Now it comes in at 0.022 to 0.028 as it rises. Yes this does help mix A/F. It also helps the transfer direction by not cutting the piston down. Stock piston here with no freeport. Could still be widened more on the intake and exhaust ports. I left 0.050 on each skirt side for a smooth ride possibly more in one area.

After having every stock new saw out of square at the base none are right from the factory not even Stihl. 0.002, okay, 0.006 or more, not so much. An old 394 I got was out 0.005 or 6 cut at a west coast shop probably twenty years ago. None the less it was off by a good bit and you can see it in the piston wear patterns.

Having an angled squish band and the cylinder on straight is priceless 🙂

Im waiting to see if you can find a bigger bore carb that fits like stock for yours. The stock echo and china 5800 zenoah carbs will swap, the only difference is the way the fuel fitting is pointed.
I'd like to find a slightly bigger carb that bolts onto the stock intake like stock for the 50cc versions.
I have two 54.5cc saws built/sorted with the 372 carb. They run pretty good, you cant tell the carb is huge.
A member here updated this carb swap in this thread with something much closer than I came up with. The 630/670 carb is just too big. The 372 is also too big out the back. The 17mm boot ring insert is going to hit the 20mm butterfly on opening with a 372 carb, I checked it out some with another carb same butterfly size and location in the body. The Makita 6401 is a possible but the location of screws changes. The one you listed looked much closer. Keeping the throttle butterfly 19.2mm or less will clear if you can fit the body in front of the plastic mount there. If not your making one. Most bigger carbs grow 5mm or more moving everything back. That was my issue and location of adjustments. Once this saw gets a better external filter and elbow we can adddres the carb again. It does well ported. Moved everything out about 2mm on average. Didn't touch the low speed area or the straw valve. It tunes better than most. Very happy with it for now. Air filter is the new choke point on this ported version and it's sucking in fines from dry hardwoods. The filter has to be changed. The red mesh type would kill it. The felt ain't great on these white ones. The inlet pipe is caked with crap but little spitback in the plastic catch plate in there.

Back