Efco specs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How accurate are the specs that Efco provides? They list their 962 at 4.7hp/3.5kw. This seems pretty impressive for 61cc, but didn't know if they were generous like Solo.

There is a guy selling new 962's at a pretty good steal on Ebay. I am in the market for a 60cc saw, and was probably going to get a 2159. It would be great for what I need to do, but the Efco is priced below the 2159 so now it has me thinking.

I have had very bad experience with Efco products before, and have not been too shy about sharing my opinions. The 962 seems to be much better built than their smaller saws.

I don't know if I could make the switch to Efco though.

There is a guy selling new 962's at a pretty good steal on Ebay. I am in the market for a 60cc saw, and was probably going to get a 2159. It would be great for what I need to do, but the Efco is priced below the 2159 so now it has me thinking.

I have had very bad experience with Efco products before, and have not been too shy about sharing my opinions. The 962 seems to be much better built than their smaller saws.

I don't know if I could make the switch to Efco though.

The 962 is the cream of the Efco crop for power to weight, the only complaints I have seen has been about the anti-wibe, and finish.

I have never used an Efco, so this is second hand info.......:)

efco 962

i have th jd cs62. it came with a 16" bar and the :censored: .325 safety chain:dizzy: i went had it changed over too .375 . i run mine set up with a 24" bar a full skip chain i hand filed the chain my own version of square ground chipper chisel chain with riders lowered a few thou. it will out cut a stihl or husky of the same class. the one really nice feature is six point AV system it beat a three point AV.
here is the link too ebay. i payed $530.00 USD New:givebeer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Efco-962-20-Cha...ryZ20538QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
:cheers: :cheers:

my own version of square ground chipper chisel chain with riders lowered a few thou. it will out cut a stihl or husky of the same class. the one really nice feature is six point AV system it beat a three point AV.
here is the link too ebay. i payed $530.00 USD New:givebeer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Efco-962-20-Cha...ryZ20538QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
:cheers: :cheers:

Bit of a contradiction there? Square ground is chisel, chipper is round ground.:confused: Plus, full skip is never gonna outcut full comp chain. Your saw would cut fastest with a short bar and full comp. Not a 24" with skip. :cheers: That said the Efco 962 is a beefy saw and that E-flay deal is dang good price!

Last edited:
the chain is a custom design made by me too my own special wants.it is several years of experimenting with differnt ideas of what a chain should be that led me to my version of full skip square ground chipper chisel chain. any chain be made too a persons own design. makeing a saw chain cutter better is what led too the plethera of modern chain saw chains:clap:
:cheers:
Bit of a contradiction there? Square ground is chisel, chipper is round ground.:confused: Plus, full skip is never gonna outcut full comp chain. Your saw would cut fastest with a short bar and full comp. Not a 24" with skip. :cheers: That said the Efco 962 is a beefy saw and that E-flay deal is dang good price!

the chain is a custom design made by me too my own special wants.it is several years of experimenting with differnt ideas of what a chain should be that led me to my version of full skip square ground chipper chisel chain. any chain be made too a persons own design. makeing a saw chain cutter better is what led too the plethera of modern chain saw chains:clap:
:cheers:

In that case you should call it Super Duper full skipper square ground chipper chisel chainsaw chain!:clap:

This summer I will have a 962 vs 262XP video. My buddy has the 962, which is a good saw. I dont have a lot of time on it but I would say the power rating is pretty optimistic. It will probably hang with a 357XP, but it has four more cc's

I have been thinking hard about it and I can't do it. I know what I would be getting into with the JRed. They have a good reputation and I can't shake the bad feeling that Efco gave me with the smaller saws.

Besides I can't be cheatin' on my Red and Black Beauties. :cheers:

Someone said the 962's were selling on eBay for under $400. I think the saw would be a good buy for that price. It wouldnt take too long to get your money out of it at that price.

As far as cheating on your Reds, I did.

The day you stop lookin the day you die:love1:

Someone said the 962's were selling on eBay for under $400. I think the saw would be a good buy for that price. It wouldnt take too long to get your money out of it at that price.

The number one rule, you can look but don't touch. :cheers:

I couldn't buy anything but JRED, or maybe Husky. I feel dirty for even entertaining the idea.

Once you go RED and BLACK you never go back!

Last edited:
I have been thinking hard about it and I can't do it. I know what I would be getting into with the JRed. They have a good reputation and I can't shake the bad feeling that Efco gave me with the smaller saws.

Besides I can't be cheatin' on my Red and Black Beauties. :cheers:

The 962's nice, STOUT machines, and I enjoy the fit and finish . The cylinders on the 359 are of very poor quality - I doubt the 2159 cylinders are any different. They are not Mahle, or any name brand for that matter - just inferior parts from China to keep the price of the saw down and appealing to the homeowner. To each their own, but if you have to buy 'red, buy the 2156.

I have some video of a stock 359, a stock 357, and perhaps if I find time, I will make one of the 962. It is currently apart on my bench undergoing transplant surgery.

The link in post 5 offer them at 399.99 (buy it now), well under 400.....lol :greenchainsaw:

I agree it looks like a good alternative, but somehow those saws (all the Emak ones) look a bit fishy to me.......

I would take my chanses if the 359/2159 was the alternative though, but not if it was the 357xp/2156 or MS361.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back