Enough with the weeds already!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went to the woods to cut a little campfire wood for those evenings around the house when a cold brew and a fire in the pit is needed, and WOW!
The nettles and various other weeds are just about waist high. I was truly amazed at how high they were. It made cutting VERY difficult and a truly unpleasant thing. The deerflies added to the frustration but thank god the mosquitoes haven't gotten to biting yet.
I don't recall the nettles being near this high in previous years this early on. Must have been perfect growing conditions.
I don't have a brush hog but I do have a sprayer and an ample supply of weed and brush killer that I'm pretty certain is gonna get used to clear the lanes and around my next few target trees.

That's why our camp wood is stacked in the shed in the winter, LOL. My woods is full of nettles too, not quite waist high here though. I hate them too.

So far ours get around knee high. I'm just glad that they are not like the one's in East Texas(worked there for 7 years)....those damn things were waist high & on a rubbery stalk. Run into them, they'd bend, then....thhhwaaap....right in the marble bag or inside of a thigh. I shiver just thinking about them.............:censored:

RD

Do you have burdock out there? The needles stick tight to everything. Getting off clothes is hard. Get it in your hair bad enough and you either have to cut or shave it off. Every once in awhile around here you'll see a little kid with real bad shaved and cut hair. Folks had to get the burdock out! Same with animals.

Go into the woods one week, about ankle high. Come back the next week, over my knees. Everything from wildflowers to nettles, thorny vine crap and who knows what else. Trying to get 2 people I know with OWB's a head start on wood for the next season. One ran out in December and the other almost ran out in Feburary. Glad I broke down and bought my Stihl trimmer with the brushcutting blade! Sure makes quick work of the thicker weeds in the woods than bending over with the chainsaw!

Do you have burdock out there? The needles stick tight to everything. Getting off clothes is hard. Get it in your hair bad enough and you either have to cut or shave it off. Every once in awhile around here you'll see a little kid with real bad shaved and cut hair. Folks had to get the burdock out! Same with animals.

lol..I remember when I was a kid we usta make burdock bombs and throw them at each other..ya they are a pain to get out of the hair:)

lol..I remember when I was a kid we usta make burdock bombs and throw them at each other..ya they are a pain to get out of the hair:)

I got a 3 day vacation from 6th grade, for dropping them on the heads of the kids coming up the stairs. I remember clearly that I nailed my current sister in law..who promptly snitched me out.

Placing several on the collar of a wool coat when someone isn't looking is another good one. They end up in the hair of the victim.

I swear a few others and myself were the inspiration for gals going to short hair around 1977 or so... nevermind that chick with the ice skates LOL!!

Nowdays, kids would get imprisoned for assault or somethin... no fun to be had anymore.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I don't recall ever seeing burdock around here. (I had to look it up)
Maybe the good lord spared us northern ohioans that one. Seems that about any other stingin, itchin, scratchin, pokin, weed available can be found right here though.
Last week I sprayed some thistle with a combo of 2-4-D and leftover Karmax from treating my pond and I gotta say this killed the crap outta the thistle. I hope it has the same effect on nettles. If not it's gonna get hit with this other chemical (can't think of the name right now) that kills everything in it's path.

Latest posts

Back