Essential flue maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I finally got round to sweeping the flue. Bit late but I was fairly confident it wasn't bad. Last year was my first year burning and with what I've used so far this winter I've burnt 8-9m3, about 2.5 cord.

First of out came the stoves baffle, the rotary brush set and cordless drill and dust sheets. I was sweeping through the hatch in the stove pipe, feeding the rods in through a piece of plastic waste pipe taped in the hatch and with the shop vac on the other end to catch dust, although most would fall into the stove.

IMG_20171206_143531.jpg

8 rods in, and out and this is what I got.

IMG_20171206_145322.jpg

And

IMG_20171206_145211.jpg

About an ash pan full of nice dry soft powdery type 1 creosote. Happy with that, I think my wood is plenty dry and I'm running the stove nicely. :)

Took a couple of hours including setting up and cleaning away, although the actual sweep was done in 15 minutes.

Its all set up and sweep but the clean up is the worst, my father is the worst chimney i have ever seen because he never has the stove hot enough and smoulders away all night

Latest posts

Back