Ethics question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm an Alderman for the town I live in. We get bids in for city work. (paving grass cutting, storm water work,ect) At first i couldn;t believe the difference in bids. Last job rebuilding a creek the bidsranged anywhere from $150k-105k. With the paving this fall the company that got the big was 28k less then the next lowest bid. I'm talking about a 100K dollar project. The paver gets the bid every year he is always the lowest by at least 25k. He does good work and in a timely manner.

Last year I bid 4 bradford pear trees at a car dealer. I told then $600 if they moved the cars out of the way. I told them I would do it on a Sunday not to bother customers. I showed up nothing around the trees. dad chipped while I pole saws the branches down. Everything was done in a hour and a half. When I went to get the check the guy told me he was worried about the work before i did it because of my bid. I said what do you mean. He said the next lowest bid was $1350. I don't understand how someone could bid that high. You could back right up to each tree on asphalt. I am always amazed at the differences in bids.

Scott

My only question would be...is you requested and made it clear it seems in your bid that you want the cars out of the way. 600 for 90 minutes of work and 2 men, with chips...seems like fair/good money to me.

Back