Ever seen an oem stihl ms660 circlip break?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Customer dropped off a 660...was running fine, no running problems...shut it off, set it down...came back, locked up.

I pulled the cylinder off and the clutch side circlip was MIA and the wrist pin had just snagged the transfer.

Ive seen the twist in clips fail but never the c style.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Had one let go on a never touched 066 red eye a few years ago.
Managed to save cylinder but has a fair score near transfer.
Pin didn't come out,just stopped mid cut due to no comp.
This one he lucked out...but the cylinder isnt worth saving, it took a hit. Saw is in decent shape, not all that Great...he has opted for a Meteor top end kit.

Customer dropped off a 660...was running fine, no running problems...shut it off, set it down...came back, locked up. I pulled the cylinder off and the clutch side circlip was MIA and the wrist pin had just snagged the transfer. I've seen the twist in clips fail but never the c style.
Might have been a top-end rebuild. The 660 has been around for 15 years. Occasionally I rebuild with a c-style clip. I have also encountered the same failure. Nothing lasts forever.

Good luck with the new top end. I enjoy working on the Stihl MS660. Still a great saw.

Of course the other option is- someone else has been in there, either forgot to put the clip in, or had one fly off into the far corners of the workshop (read garage) to never be seen again while trying to fit it. Said Bumpkin noted that the wrist pin seemed pretty tight, so just bolt it all up- nobody will ever know.
Unless you personally worked on it last and can be 100% nobody else with a night class shop degree has been tinkering........ you do not know if it fell out, or was omitted.

Of course the other option is- someone else has been in there, either forgot to put the clip in, or had one fly off into the far corners of the workshop (read garage) to never be seen again while trying to fit it. Said Bumpkin noted that the wrist pin seemed pretty tight, so just bolt it all up- nobody will ever know.
Unless you personally worked on it last and can be 100% nobody else with a night class shop degree has been tinkering........ you do not know if it fell out, or was omitted.
I can see the scratches where the pieces beat around, there definitely appears to have been one installed, appears it ran a bit but whats odd to me is there is not one mark on the bore..the only impact was the pin coming up and squarely hitting the bottom of the top ledge of the clutch side transfer. I flushed the case and no metal fragments, little bit of dirt and stuff which id expect on an old well used saw.

Might have been a top-end rebuild. The 660 has been around for 15 years. Occasionally I rebuild with a c-style clip. I have also encountered the same failure. Nothing lasts forever.

Good luck with the new top end. I enjoy working on the Stihl MS660. Still a great saw.
I was expecting to pull the muffler off and see major failure...i was greeted by a perfect looking set of rings and piston. Noted it would rotated about 90 degrees between clunks...knew what it was right then. Piston and cylinder are oem but i cant tell if they are original. The clips are...safe to assume, oem. Weird to me though to see clutch side failure because thats the one you put in on the bench...then slip the pin in on the saw and out the flywheel side clip in.

Back