Evergreen Tree Dying Need Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abstrekkie12

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I have an evergreen tree (not sure what type it is), that was planted about a month ago in our backyard. We are located in Northern California where we are experiencin a severe drought. It's towards the end of October, so the temperatures are starting to drop a bit (mid 80s), it won't get colder (till about mid to late November. The tree is watered every other day with about 2-3 gallons. In the past week, leaves have been turning brown and others have brown spots. When the tree is shaken both green and the brown spotted leaves fall off. Not sure what is causing this and I am concerned the tree is dying. I have posted some pictures. Any advise will help. Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,004 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
You may have a holly, not sure from the pics. If you have heavy clay type soil you are over watering the tree. Once a week give it a good soaking, if you are sandy & well drained go for twice a week. Leaf drop on a new plant can be from transplant shock and or excessive watering. Is the tree from good nursery stock or one someone dug up & moved? Most people who purchase a new tree & have it professionally installed know what they have bought. The fungal leaf spots is not a big concern at this time. However the browning leaf margins is, may be due to again over watering, damaged root system etc.

You may have a holly, not sure from the pics. If you have heavy clay type soil you are over watering the tree. Once a week give it a good soaking, if you are sandy & well drained go for twice a week. Leaf drop on a new plant can be from transplant shock and or excessive watering. Is the tree from good nursery stock or one someone dug up & moved? Most people who purchase a new tree & have it professionally installed know what they have bought. The fungal leaf spots is not a big concern at this time. However the browning leaf margins is, may be due to again over watering, damaged root system etc.

The tree was purchased at a nursery and I planted myself. The container pot (which had a label of the tree type and additional info) was thrown away. The ground around the tree is very sandy. Sounds like I may be over watering. I will begin watering only twice a week. Thank you for the information.

That's a good sized tree for a container, was she root bound?

L_IMG_rootbound.jpg

Cut back to weekly only. Even twice a week is a huge amount of water for most trees. Air is very important to the health of the roots on your tree. You don't want it to drown. My guess is that your local nursery carries trees that suit your environment which these days, in California, means drought tolerant.

Latest posts

Back