explain, please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
a friend of mine seems convinced that a chain sharpened fairly well, but with the rakers set low would out cut a chain set for "racing". How low, would you believe .035 to .040

My opinion is that it doesn't work, and I am almost tempted to either buy, or create a "racing chain" to prove my point.

Thanks,
-Pat

a friend of mine seems convinced that a chain sharpened fairly well, but with the rakers set low would out cut a chain set for "racing". How low, would you believe .035 to .040

My opinion is that it doesn't work, and I am almost tempted to either buy, or create a "racing chain" to prove my point.

Thanks,
-Pat

Cutting the side before cutting the chip is just way more efficant. (race chain is square-filed so the side is cut before the chip)
True race chain is lighter and less drag in the wood.

Setting too low of a depth gauge setting will just sink the cutter into to much wood, lugging your saw to much,,,,, resulting in cutting less.

Last edited:

Your friend is (mostly) full of it. They might get that low on saws with lots of power, like a strong bikesaw or top alky/nitro stroker. Even on a "ordinary" race saw, they don't go that far.

Thanks,
-Pat

Pat,
In my opinion, your opinion is correct.:cheers:
At .040 not only is your friend cutting slower, he's putting a lot of extra wear on his saw. Half of that would be a deep raker on a race chain (mine anyway's).
This chain is less than half the .040 raker depth. Saw is on pump gas, at Eagar AZ a little under 8000' elevation.
http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/?action=view&current=Under5Andytrimmed.flv

My rakers are even set at less than .040 on this bike saw run.
http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/?action=view&current=HotSawAndy.flv

Andy

Back