exposed roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen brans

Reaction score
We have 50 year old fir trees that has very large exposed roots. Our winters here can be very cold, below 0, and the rainy season has washed a lot of the soil away as well. If we mowed around the roots, which we don't, setting the mower to 2 inches would not get over the roots. These trees are beautiful and we would hate to loose them to the bitter cold winter temps. Should we put fresh soil down to help fill in that which has washed away or just leave them as they are?

stephen brans said:
Should we put fresh soil down to help fill in that which has washed away ?
Yes, then mulch the root zone. See "Proper Mulching" in the link below.

I'll go a step farther and recommend adding soil to just cover the exposed roots, then mulch help to protect from further erosion. Root can be damaged by extremely cold temperatures and soil protects them from that, I think better than chips alone.
Kudos to you for spotting that, you dang tree hugger.
Now I'll qualify my comments by adding that if soil slowly erodes away, the exposed root will change from root, to trunk type wood and bark, and in that case the wood is somewhat protected from freezing. But when the erosion happens quickly, like with your trees, there just isn't enough time for the tree to change.

"Mulch" Thanks!

rebelman said:
Mulch the root zone. Use the search function for specifics.
We will give mulching a try. I hope the winters don't do harm to these large exposed roots. We will also do a lite soil, as someone else suggested, where the erosion is worse. Maybe a wool blanket!! HaHa!:D

Thanks Mike

Mike Maas said:
I'll go a step farther and recommend adding soil to just cover the exposed roots, then mulch help to protect from further erosion. Root can be damaged by extremely cold temperatures and soil protects them from that, I think better than chips alone.
Kudos to you for spotting that, you dang tree hugger.
Now I'll qualify my comments by adding that if soil slowly erodes away, the exposed root will change from root, to trunk type wood and bark, and in that case the wood is somewhat protected from freezing. But when the erosion happens quickly, like with your trees, there just isn't enough time for the tree to change.

We are going to do both to our beautiful firs. I'm 60 and just wished I looked as healthy as they do!!!:laugh:

Back