extensive tree reports

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a little curious about how things are done in north america, and other countries come to that, I've been asked by a local council to carry out a tree report on 3 trees 2 are Fraxinus excelsior, which have Inotus hispidus, and 1 is an Acer pseudoplatanus which has Polyporus squamosus, I have carried out all the usual site overviews etc, etc, and have finalised the report in a staggering 56 page documented report, and all this took around 1.5 days .......... is this type of reporting expected by local authorities,residential and commercial customers in your regions or is a 1 to 2 page document sufficient? just curious, Jock.

Well, for 6 trees with pictures that is only 9.3 pages per tree. if you take off the cover, contents, discalimer page, citations, bibliography and glossery, that is more like 8.

I guess it depends on how you put it together, bulletts or cogent points with supporting documentation and images can make a voluminous report.

For better input you can go to an ASCA site to ask this question, but I think their answer will be the same. More is better as long as they can get the main points right away.

http://tree-tech.com/board/?topic=topic1

What do you charge to write a report?? Just curious, I had a big learning curve when I started doing reports. Mainly mgmt plans, construction damage mitigation, and letters stating there is no oak wilt on X property.

What do you charge?

I'll follow up with my findings.

Depends on how invloved it gets. if it is just some boiler plate language that I cut and paste from computer files, like your "no oakwilt" letter then it is a set fee. if it is a long drawn out research type thing with basal excavation it is t&m including travel times.

Around here the regular ASCA types are $80-110/hr. Some of the established guys from out east are over $200.

Keep in mind that I am 27 and fairly new at some business aspects. The first cut and paste letters I did, I charged $50. I thought it was great until they asked for a few small changes, before you know it, I have invested drive time, printing time, for 3-4hr for $50??

My old employer(2000) laid it out to me a year ago when I asked him the same question. Consult only, $75. Anything written, $200. Estimates - free.

The guy has a great rep. I have stuck with $150.

This is where the ISA cert and Forestry degree come in handy - that is what they like to see at the bottom of the page.

Here in the UK I personally charge the local authorities £250.00 per tree, for a detailed report, but some councils want basic reports to suit there budgets which are around £70-80.00, residential customers, where i know i'll be tendering for the work get charged £250.00 for a report of up to 6 trees, which they seem to accept round here, probably not expensive when you consider the information they recieve on the trees health....Jock

I've never had to make revisions for a single letter report, guess i'm lucky. But I do word it so that I don't think i would get caught in that bind.

Something like a one page report for $XX, additioanl time at $XX per hour.

How do you as an independent, disinterested consultant revise a proffesional opinion if there has been no ommission on your part?

I've even done quick hand writen reports for 1/2hr rate when people want a simple answer. On a number occations I've given a verbal report gratis, especial for the eldely and blue collar people.

My revisions were do to the fact that the moron of an arbo for the city wants to hear certain buzz words, etc before he will remove a red flag from a project. The bad thing is that there are no checks to see if practices were implemented or if replacement trees live for longer than 1 yr.

If you are dealing with red flagged construction projects, charge high, they are twisting in the wind.

Some city foresters/arborists really want to make a difference (and do), others are just to lazy/dim to make it in the private sector.:)

Nate, now i understand, you were writing a report for a second party to submit to a third. I can see where that can come back to you for additional work. I've never done that as a flat fee letter. Those are designed for single users, such as homeowners on tight budgets.

Jock, that is the problem. I'm not formaly educated. just blessed with a very high retention. Everyone here knows my thought prosses is rather disjointed. They've all learned to adapt or ignore.

One time I was talking to Fred B, he said that the first time he read one of my post he thought I was an idiot, then he read a little more.
:D

Latest posts

Back