external oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLowe

Reaction score
I have been doing a bunch of reading here and see sometimes you guys put an external (tip oiler) on your saws. Is this because of the saw being on the level not vertical. I just got a new 48" granberg and want to get at this. I have a 24" bar and will go bigger later. I think this going to be a blast, I'm addicted and haven't even cut one board yet... I'm just waiting for the snow to leave and the mosquitos arrive. :newbie: Sorry if this has been posted before. Thanks!

I have been doing a bunch of reading here and see sometimes you guys put an external (tip oiler) on your saws. Is this because of the saw being on the level not vertical. I just got a new 48" granberg and want to get at this. I have a 24" bar and will go bigger later. I think this going to be a blast, I'm addicted and haven't even cut one board yet... I'm just waiting for the snow to leave and the mosquitos arrive. :newbie: Sorry if this has been posted before. Thanks!

The extra oiler if typically for the longer milling bars. My oiler on my 395 keeps up really well with my 24" bar but when I run the 44" bar the oiler needs a little help. Be sure to post some pictures when you get started.:cheers: Welcome to AS!!!

Last edited:
Do you have to worry about how hard the wood is say oak vs pine for an external oiler?

I typically dont pay any mind to what type of wood I'm cutting. My 44" bar is set-up for the auxillary oiler, so if its hooked up to the saw I'm using the extra oiler. What type of saw will you be running? Ive heard of guys on here running long bars with just the saw oiler and not having any troubles. Max the oiler out and give her a whirl, you will soon see if more oil is required.:cheers:

Depending on what saw you have, you may or may not be able to adjust the oil rate from the saw itself. If you can, you should be OK with the bar you have. If not, you may want to consider the oiler.

On the longer bars, use the oiler.

Just a heads up Martin. The oilers are on the expensive side IMHO.

You can make one from an old lawnmower gas tank and petcock.

You can also make the bolt for the bar but it's a lot less trouble to just buy one from Baileys.

By the way guys, Martin is a Hunter and all around sportsman as well as an extremely accomplished wildlife photographer.

Last edited:
If you look at the way CS are used for falling and bucking, the way the CS is rotated in the cut often only part of the bar/chain is being and the oil supply is generally provided to suit this. In milling, longer bar/chain lengths are used continually. This places a big frictional load on the bar/chain contact hence extra oil helps deliver power to the cut instead of going into wear and tear of the chain and bar/ .

The oil flow rates of machines varies from 6 - 15 ml/min for something like an 029 to 14-36 ml/min for an 088. My old 076 only provides 7 - 19 ml/min which is ok for small (less than 24") logs but above that I always use the aux oiler. What I do is basically match the flow rate of the oiler on the machine so I typically use around 15 ml/min on the Aux oiler.

As far as aux oilers go you can go rolls-royce like this, to budget like these plastic plumbing fittings like I have on my small 50 cc Homelite powered mill. The tank is made out of left over piece of PVC sewer pipe and plastic irrigation fittings. I recommend two things. Two taps - one for on-off and one for flow adjustments, and using a self-closing quick-connect (I used a standard self closing garden hose fitting) to the bar otherwise you end up getting oil everywhere every time you have to take the saw out of the mill.

Cheers

Last edited:
I use the wifes hair dye bottles to fill with bar oil and squirt every now and then as i go down the board.Works well for me.Saves me from drilling the bars.:) Mark

MLowe,

I just put together an external oil pump for the mill I'm building. It was pretty simple to make. My pump is a clutch master cylinder from a small import car. I used a Honda unit because it was small and aluminum. Any master cylinder from a small car could be used. See my link.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=58090&page=4

jerry-

Back