Farm tractor implement question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolmen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Group,

I'm looking at getting a David Brown 1494 4x4 tractor to help me gather in the wood.

I'm after ideas as to what sort of implements are out there that would really make life easier. I read on here about someone that had built a grapple for a skidder and was thinking about something like that on a front loader for the tractor.

I don't really need anything for skidding as most of my firewood I have access to with the tractor. I was thinking a power linkbox would be useful, when the ground is too soft for the trailer.

TIA

Cheers

:)

What brand of loader? There are lots of manufacturers that make aftermarket buckets, root rakes, etc with grapples on them, but most are made to fit the quick attach type buckets found on newer loaders. I'm sure most of these companies would be happy to make one to mount to your loader for a bit more $$ if you have the older style pinned on bucket like I have, or someone with fabrication skills could add a grapple to your bucket.

Hydraulics could be another issue. If you are using all the outlets to run the loader now, you will need another valve to run the grapple. Electric multipliers will do this fairly well for not too much money.

One last note, those old David Browns are getting old, and parts for the front axle might be hard to find if needed. Ask around at your local Case-IH dealer to see how parts availability. I beleive the 94 series DB's like you are looking at became the smaller Case 94 series at some point so this might not be a problem, but should be looked into. Loader work can be hard on front axles.

I realize I sound a bit negative, but I just want to give you some things to look into before you make a decision.

As to the box, nah. With a 4x4 tractor pulling it, too soft for the trailer is probably too soft for the guy loading the trailer, just let it dry up for a few days.

Edit: Just noticed you are in Ireland, parts for those Brit tractors should be available there if they are available at all!

Last edited:
I bought used forks and the carriage from an old forklift and made mounts so it would attach to my loader arms in place of the bucket. It works out really nicely when you can cut wood into 8-10 foot lengths and haul it back to the woodshed for the final cutting, especially when cutting locust up into fence posts. The only problem with this is that heavy things have to be lifted with the weight as close to the tractor as possible.....if you get the weight out on the ends of the forks there is incredible leverage on the cylinders used to rotate the bucket.

The other thing I built was a three point hitch mount for a trailer ball. I can just back up to the trailer and hit the lift and have the thing connected, then I get off and trip the latch and lift the jack. It takes far less effort than jacking the trailer down onto the ball or using a hitch pin type trailer.

Thanks Steve for the indepth reply. Parts are quite plentyful at the moment. The tractor as it stands doesn't have a loader, but I think it would be very useful, especially with some sort of grapple bucket, I'm searching for details on those just now.

Thanks oneoldbanjo, yep I'd thought about forks, will keep an eye open for an old forklift, my mate is gonna be busy making these items fit ;-) I'm hoping this tractor will have a pickup hitch fitted, we'll see when it comes in.

I like to see what others have made or come up with to make life easier, any pics speak a 1000 words.

Cheers

Last edited:
If the tractor doesn't have a loader make that your first priority purchase. You'll find yourself doing more things with the loader than anything else you'll buy, trust me. Weld on some bucket hooks and get a couple lengths of chain and you're in business.

And if that's not enough, they do make bolt on grapples for non-quick attach buckets. You just have to have the hydraulic capacity and hook-ups. I've no experience with these but have done a lot of envious looking at other people's stuff on other forums.

Get it, you'll get use out of it. -WSJ

+1 on the fork attachment for your loader. Also a 3 point hitch carryall with platform would be handy for carting wood back home.

Thanks slinger, thats looks a big platform, does it leave the front end very light?

Cheers

A brush guard on the front end will save it from damage if it doesn't already have one.

Good idea blakey, you see many a damaged front, too much time spent looking over your shoulder amongst the trees.

Cheers

If the tractor doesn't have a loader make that your first priority purchase. You'll find yourself doing more things with the loader than anything else you'll buy, trust me. Weld on some bucket hooks and get a couple lengths of chain and you're in business.

And if that's not enough, they do make bolt on grapples for non-quick attach buckets. You just have to have the hydraulic capacity and hook-ups. I've no experience with these but have done a lot of envious looking at other people's stuff on other forums.

Get it, you'll get use out of it. -WSJ

WSJ, yes the loader is a priority for me too, I had seen a pic of a silage grab converted to a log grapple, but as usual can't find those pics when I need them.

Cheers

I have a pair of David Brown 995's, looks like the 1494 is a bit newer. I have had good luck getting parts at a local Case dealer, there is also an online illustrated parts list. There are aftermarket parts available as well e.g. tach and cable.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Blakey two nice tractors there, looks like you've loads of snow too ! Great tractor the Brown! I was originally looking for a 990 with a cab, but good ones are just so hard to find.

So when this 1494 comes in next week I'm first in line for a look.

Cheers

Last edited:
The one with the loader has over 4000 hrs, my father bought it at a neighbour's auction sale. The other my father bought new and has over 8000 hrs, it was the "go to" tractor for many years. I have had them since 2000. My father also had a pair of 950's which my brother now owns. They are little workhorses but no power steering, less gear selection, no hydraulic remotes. There seems to be a few good David Brown tractors popping up for sale over here, they tend to be a good value but everyone wants a John Deere or Kubota.

I'm looking at getting a David Brown 1494 4x4 tractor to help me gather in the wood.

I'm after ideas as to what sort of implements are out there that would really make life easier. I read on here about someone that had built a grapple for a skidder and was thinking about something like that on a front loader for the tractor.

I don't really need anything for skidding as most of my firewood I have access to with the tractor. I was thinking a power linkbox would be useful, when the ground is too soft for the trailer.

Do they still burn a lot of peat in Ireland for heat? How does it compare as far as BTUs to wood?

A tractor and loader is a great way to get the wood in. Also in time a dump bed trailer is also nice. The one we use is an old dump truck that we cut in half and made it so we can hook the hydraulics right to the tractor or flatbed truck with bale bed. We just load wood on the loader and bucket and take it to the trailer. Get it home and pull the lever. It save alot of backache.

The one with the loader has over 4000 hrs, my father bought it at a neighbour's auction sale. The other my father bought new and has over 8000 hrs, it was the "go to" tractor for many years. I have had them since 2000. My father also had a pair of 950's which my brother now owns. They are little workhorses but no power steering, less gear selection, no hydraulic remotes. There seems to be a few good David Brown tractors popping up for sale over here, they tend to be a good value but everyone wants a John Deere or Kubota.

Servicing, servicing, servicing ... I'm a great believer in keeping them in tip top condition, that way they are there for years of work.

I too would have either a John Deere or Kubota, but I don't fancy paying the huge premiums over a David Brown, not for all the work I have.

Cheers

Do they still burn a lot of peat in Ireland for heat? How does it compare as far as BTUs to wood?

I still burn turf (peat), but its quite variable in its burning ability, quite a lot like different types of wood! which oddley enought is what it mainly was, I find the turf I have is ok, but its BTU's would be well down on wood, and it produces loads of fine red ash. I have a shed full of turf, I burn so little of it as my timber supply is good at present.

Cheers

A tractor and loader is a great way to get the wood in. Also in time a dump bed trailer is also nice. The one we use is an old dump truck that we cut in half and made it so we can hook the hydraulics right to the tractor or flatbed truck with bale bed. We just load wood on the loader and bucket and take it to the trailer. Get it home and pull the lever. It save alot of backache.

Its great if you're handy and can do most of that kind of work yourself. I'm lucky enough to know a guy that likes a challange, something a little different from his everyday stuff and helps me out with the metal work side of things.

My BIL has a great farm trailer, 10' x 6' tipper, so it takes a good load of timber.

Cheers

Back