Few more pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl051master

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some of you asked for more tornado pictures, so here they are. I put a "beverage" can on in some of the pics so you could judge the size of the carnage.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

timber

You got lots of volume there.....bigger trees too. I'd log that for pulpwood and sawlogs...and keep the firewood logs you want. It will give you a reason to buy a big saw too....lol BTW, nice pics!:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I figure on logging off the big straight trunks and then cutting up the rest for firewood. There is a LOT of wood here, this is a 40 acre piece of ground. I'm already looking for a saw in between the small ones and the 051. The only problem is getting to the logs. Right now I am working on building access trails. The next step will be to make a skidding attachment/log arch/ or grapple for the tractor (Ford 4000). If anyone has made anything and wouldn't mind sending me some pics it would be much appreciated.

372xp

I figure on logging off the big straight trunks and then cutting up the rest for firewood. There is a LOT of wood here, this is a 40 acre piece of ground. I'm already looking for a saw in between the small ones and the 051. The only problem is getting to the logs. Right now I am working on building access trails. The next step will be to make a skidding attachment/log arch/ or grapple for the tractor (Ford 4000). If anyone has made anything and wouldn't mind sending me some pics it would be much appreciated.

I would buy a husky 372xp to cut that...it would be perfect. Or a stihl 460 or 660........:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

pulp

You could even sell the really crooked and splintered logs as pulpwood.....if you have enough of it, pulp will pay. I'd clear cut all the damaged trees out and either let the aspen and birch take over or replant.......that costs too much sometimes, especially now......:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Hmmm,
I never thought of selling for pulpwood.... I'll have to check into that. Any idea where to look for a buyer? The aspen and birch grow like crazy out here. When my dad got this property 26 years ago, you could see cars going down the road from the back line (1/4 mile). Before the tornado you'd be lucky to see 20 yards in any direction. I was really concerned about what it was going to do about out deer hunting out here, but they love the fresh cut wood and now there is some serious cover, so I guess we'll see next season.... They were really scattered last fall.

pulpwood

Hmmm,
I never thought of selling for pulpwood.... I'll have to check into that. Any idea where to look for a buyer? The aspen and birch grow like crazy out here. When my dad got this property 26 years ago, you could see cars going down the road from the back line (1/4 mile). Before the tornado you'd be lucky to see 20 yards in any direction. I was really concerned about what it was going to do about out deer hunting out here, but they love the fresh cut wood and now there is some serious cover, so I guess we'll see next season.... They were really scattered last fall.

I'd look for a buyer close to you.......around here pulp goes for $400.00 for a tiraxle load......:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Whereabouts in MI is that? I know we got hit with some pretty good winds in Allegan a few weeks back and there were some touch downs reported.

Yes there is, my dad actually had some cottonwood sawed up a while back and built a lean to on his barn with it. One part of the woods has mostly popple and birch, then another part has a bunch of big cottonwoods and a few elm and oaks, and the front has a ton of maples, not too many big ones though. No pictures there, that part fared pretty well.

A grapple for a tractor

Here's a shot of logging tongs hung from a 3pt hitch. Cheep this setup was about $150, tongs and receiver hitch.

p1010202xe7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p1010203sr9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Back