Finally some cold weather and snow and chain anatomy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Reaction score
Winter just arrived yesterday. Cold air and snow to the tune of 5 inches or so. Enough to mess up my satelite internet. This morning found me in my sweatpants and hoodie inching precariously across my snow covered roof to brush the snow and ice from the dish so I could access this forum to see what was going on. Crazy? Not the brightest of ideas espicially since it was still dark but hey I like this place.
I don't generally work Fridays so that is my scheduled wood day and with the snow and winds yesterday I stayed home. Got out the trusty John Deere and snow blowed the drive and a trip to the local farm store was rewarded with a new chain, sharpening files, a new handle for files and a sparkplug for my 029 Super. A small puddle of drool on the floor from looking at all the nice new saws I simply blamed on snow covered boots. :drool:
Then I stacked all the wood I cut last weekend which had been piled in the garage awaiting colder weather (less mud). I laid down 4 pallets, drove in two T posts at each end and stood a pallet up against them.
View attachment 217346
Today I head to the woods to ready a bunch of timber for a future haul out. I want to have it all limbed and bucked into 4'-6' pieces so when I get a loaner quad for a day or so I can get it all out before giving up the machine.
I was truly amazed at all the chains hanging on the wall. I picked up the 3/8 chipper. The guy told me it doesn't have the anti-kickback feature that some of the others do.
I guess I will have to do some research on the anatomy of a chain.
I'm never too proud to admit I don't know something but I'll be damned if that isn't remedied quickly.
Have a great weekend!
:givebeer:

anti-kickback chain

An anti-kickback chain is a false statement. It should be called a reduced kickback chain but then you don't get the good sales pitch. Basically the anti-kickback chain has a raised piece of metal right in front of the raker. I don't prefer them because I think there harder to sharpen. Your gonna have to take more material off when you want to lower your rakers. And I feel they will rob power from your saw because your chain has more mass to bring around the bar. Back to the reduced kickback claim. There is no technological way to stop kickback. Its all about cutting technique. As being a victim of a kick back and damn near taking my left knee off. It doesn't matter if its a kick back chain or not, they cut flesh all the same.
Safe cutting :smile2:

Latest posts

Back