Finally, some pix of my saws. Thanks to all AS members!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiOilBoiler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Having lurked around here for a few years mostly reading, sometimes typing, i thought it was time for a concerted effort to learn some posting technology. If a pic appears below its all thanks to Manyhobies and Bigblockburris i think.

View attachment 220186

attachment.php

Ok that seemed to work!!! I guess a bit of evidence is in order.

View attachment 220187
attachment.php

View attachment 220188
attachment.php

View attachment 220189
attachment.php

So three 'good' Husky's, all selected based on talk on here about what was a 'cut above'.

The 262 came first. See my angst ridden early post here. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/111744-2.htm
It still runs fantastically and should have been all i ever needed.........but i found myself up a ladder pruning at home one day and thought "something a bit smaller might be safer".

Thats where the 242 came in. It had been listed on our local auction site TradeMe, but no-one picked it up. I searched thru the vendors other listings and contacted him, eventually getting the saw for NZ$140. It is an awesome limbing saw and gets the most use now.

These two kept me happy for a couple of years, but then my Dad had about 30 Totara trees felled by the power co., and the 18" on the 262 was barely meeting on most of the stump ends and i felt something bigger might be easier on me and the gear.

The 288 was listed as a "rebuilt but seized" item on TradeMe, and i auto-bid all i had at the time which was NZ$259.51, the same guy pushed a couple of times before backing out at $254, she was mine for $255!!! It turned up in a box, clean as a whistle, i removed the muffler and couldn't see any nasties. I then pulled the 'plug out and turned it over by hand and it was free as, so new 'plug and gas and she was away!!! I think the seized part was the chain-brake which took a real blow-out with the air-gun before it would freely operate. Yes i did feel a bit guilty, but you win some you lose some, see the 262 story! It is an absolute pleasure to use, the decomp making it easier to start than the 262, which is handy when you're 6 foot and only 176 lbs!

They are all stock for now apart from mild muffler mods, but reading the mod posts by Stumpy, Brad, Randy, Eric Copsey etc has given me great insight into the potential available within, so we will have to see what the future brings.

Anyone else think it is strange none of the tags show 'xp' in the build details?, i know 242's come in a couple of variations, but the other two i thought only came as 'xp's??

Finally a big thank you to fellow kiwi ASer Gregford, his advice has always been accurate and much appreciated. Cheers Harry!

Thank for sitting through all this ramble, i guess i should learn how to fit the pics on the page now!

Keep safe, Adam

Thats a nice collection of saws. I thiink you need more though. I think im up to 13 now and Im sure thats less than other members on here. I always like how we justify needing another saw,this one too small or too big for the job. Haha. Thanks for sharing.:msp_smile:

Manyhobies seems to be on a mission to teach others how to post pics. Many AS members have benefited I'm sure.

Snap!

After using a stihl 025 for about 15 years I ended up doing same as you - first a 262 (does have xp on the tag) then got a 242 (no xp on the tag) and later a 242G (again no xp on the tag).

All of them bought 2nd hand for under £100 and all run like new now.

I love them all - 262 eats wood like a monster compared to the smaller saws but the 242's are so light weight and reliable they get the most use.

Lastly got a 371xp (with xp on the tag) when I needed something for some much bigger wood.

Ok - I admit it - there's been some others too but not into double figures yet and trying to keep it that way.

Last edited:
Back