Finally!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started this season back in January to fill a standing 4 cord order. This will be for delivery in 2016 (2014/15 already in the stacks). Too wet to get in with the truck so used wife's car and packed the saws in about 100ft. Fell, bucked and split to leadable size all of one tree and the top of another. Then got weathered out In Feb. Been waiting ever since for it to get dry enough to start hauling. Should have been 2 weeks ago but April was full of the nasties weather wise, wind, cold, wet.

Last rain storm was last Sunday, Today I figured it would be dry enough. It was. 2 1/2 hours had my load made (okay so I didn't work all that steady at it, just being out there was nice sitting on the tailgate with a cuppa coffee and the farmer's big shaggy dog. Friendly dog but he keeps trying to gt me to let him ride the truck. His favorite occupation is getting his head scratched and spreading out in the truck bed.

load_zps319277e5.jpg

4 ricks that will come to a full cord after splitting/stacking. PU bed lmeasures 5.5' across, racks just shy of 4', wood cut to 16" nominal = 114.4 cu ft. Minus two wheel wells so it should bulk up to 128 cu ft after splitting. This is Willow but it has lost a lot of moisture so the 'overload' wasn't too bad.

Grabbed the 361/25" and cut up almost all of the base log of th e second tree. About 24" small end to around 30" where I quit at a fork. Leaves about 6' of log that is at least 36" diameter.

bunches_zps58913379.jpg

There are at least two more loads the same size waiting at that place. The log I finished cutting is out of sight to the left of the truck (seems I saved the wrong picture).

I have another tree down further up the line that still needs some minor brushing out and bucking.

Headed back out in the morning for another load and start splitting to loadable size the rounds off that log.

Looks like I got too ambitious too early. At this rate I'll have my 4 cords done by the end of the month (except for thesplit/stack). I also want a few cords for my self for shoulder season and to mix with locust.

Gonna be a sad rest of the year with nothing more to cut until next year again.

Harry K

Harry, Gott'a give you a lot of credit, that be some nasty looking stuff to cut. I know what you mean about getting out there, I goofed up my knee so I'm taking things a little slower now but between a cane and a good walking stick, I'm doing good. If we ever get a day without rain, I'll be doing better.

Harry, Gott'a give you a lot of credit, that be some nasty looking stuff to cut. I know what you mean about getting out there, I goofed up my knee so I'm taking things a little slower now but between a cane and a good walking stick, I'm doing good. If we ever get a day without rain, I'll be doing better.

Scary stuff for sure. It is a row of those things about 1/4 mile long. I can hae anything in there. Problem is that most of them are multi-stem and huge. too big and dangerous to fll in one piece but finding one where the join is low enough to take one stem is a real problem. That one my cuts were above my head and the stump looks like a crew of drunk beavers did it. Even with a 28" bar I had to cut from both sides and of course no cut of the 6 (2 on back, 4 on wedge) met up :)

Harry K

Back