finaly a pic of my wood! "nothing special"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So i finaly think i figured out how to post some pics.. the pics are of my load of wood for the day. its all air dried red elm. some hard ####! going to be fun to split this stuff .

Last edited:
(Slippery) Red Elm makes very nice firewood, good fragrance, good heat and straight chunks. Once it starts to dry it gets a lot easier to split too. Thats my favorite part about it , is opening it up with an axe.

thanks for all the good replys, and yes it is great wood to burn and there is so much around here to!! i have noticed it helps to split the wood when its cooold out. doesnt split soe stringy. and as for the ride.. yes its nice but that sure as hell doesnt stop me from driving it right in the woods to where ever i need to be.. wouldnt hurt to have some overload springs in it...

Is that where the Rocky Mountains pass through Iowa LOL?

I was there once and that must be the biggest hill in the state!
:cheers:

Since we are sharing pics of wood...

and as for the ride.. yes its nice but that sure as hell doesnt stop me from driving it right in the woods to where ever i need to be.. wouldnt hurt to have some overload springs in it...

Look into a set of Timbren suspension supports. Acks like the F-250's suspension. Doesn't affect the ride quality when empty, but engages when the suspension drops about an 1 1/4"

Since we are sharing pics of wood... Here is the skid steer trailer with sides...

7' wide x 18' long = obscene amount of wood per load

attachment.php

Last edited:
Look into a set of Timbren suspension supports. Acks like the F-250's suspension. Doesn't affect the ride quality when empty, but engages when the suspension drops about an 1 1/4"

Since we are sharing pics of wood... Here is the skid steer trailer with sides...

7' wide x 18' long = obscene amount of wood per load

attachment.php

That is a bunch of wood on that load! I know my trailer will buckle with that much weight on it, not to mention my truck wouldnt pull it anyway!

i have noticed it helps to split the wood when its cooold out. doesnt split soe stringy.

The big reason it's easier to split when it's cold is because any moisture that remains in the wood is in the form of ice, if the wood has been in the cold for a while. That means generally the fibers won't compress as readily when a wedge or maul is driven between them and absorb less energy, therefore making it a more efficient process overall, resulting in an easier split.

thanks for all the good replys, and yes it is great wood to burn and there is so much around here to!! i have noticed it helps to split the wood when its cooold out. doesnt split soe stringy. and as for the ride.. yes its nice but that sure as hell doesnt stop me from driving it right in the woods to where ever i need to be.. wouldnt hurt to have some overload springs in it...

I had a post awhile ago about adding some leaf springs to my truck. Do a search for "leaf springs" and you will find it. Lots of people posted different ideas and suggestions. Most of them are about 200 dollars. Well worth it for me.

Nice take to the OP!

Watch that rear window, though!:monkey:

I hear ya.

The terrain at the site I've been cutting at limits me from being able to use my dump trailer so I've been hauling out all this oak with just my truck. Every time I try to take a full load to maximize my trips, but I'm constantly worried I'm going to lose one of my rear windows one of these days as I'm trying to get out of there (crazy terrain)! I think I might start throwing a sheet of plywood up at the front of the bed until I finish this job...

Loadofwood.jpg

So i finaly think i figured out how to post some pics.. the pics are of my load of wood for the day. its all air dried red elm. some hard ####! going to be fun to split this stuff .

Yup, no finer cutting than standing elm that has been dead for a few years, better burning stuff around, but not better cutting. No brush to deal with no limbs to small for firewood, just cut it all up and load, I love it.

Good load of wood. I don't envy you if you're not going to use a splitter on it though.

i am using a splitter. i built one a while back but have yet to post pics. i will get on that also. and we have so much dead standing eld around. its great. just hard to get to it at the moment. to much underbrush around still. and i am from NE iowa and you cant find a flat spot any where.. hills every where.. 4x4 is a must just to get around if you looking for wood.. and have to dodge a cow or a deer here and there..

Latest posts

Back