fireplace insert opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_376

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a fireplace insert for my house. My house is a 2700 sqft colonial with a fairly open first floor. the room with the fireplace is large with 2 doorway exiting it, 1 36" into the kitchen and the other 8' into the another room with the staircase leading upstairs. I want some opinions on what you are using and how much it cost you. I looked online at the Osborn 2400 and it seemed nice, much less money than the local shop I looked at.

Sounds just like my house. I run a Napoleon 1100 24/7 fall to spring. Could use a bit more in the dead of winter but then I wouldn't be able to run it hot and clean the other 4 months. It keeps the downstairs in the 70s and the upstairs in the 60s even when it's freezing out. Doesn't seem like it should be able to but it does. Certain teenage female family members complain but I'm pleased overall.

+1 on the Osburn, very good build quality, and an excellent warrenty. Also you can find a few sites that have good prices on them, one of our members on here works for them and can vouch for their quality / customer support. Fyrebug I think is his name?

We have an osburn 2200, and so far it's ok. It has the "bay" window. My only issue is that I wish I had installed a flue control between the pipe and insert, because we have a two story house and it seems to draw the heat out too fast when the draft gets going

We have been running a Regency for 5 years now. I'd have to go find the owners manual or dig up an old post to tell you the model #. My only complaint is (and it's not the fault of the mfg.), it has a small firebox (that is dictated by the existing fireplace), and it has no ash drawer (because it has a fan underneath). We run it if we are at home, and it has cut our LP useage in half. If I remember correctly, it is 77% efficient and puts out 55,000 BTU's. If it were centrally located, it would do even better. The misses loves it and it keeps me runnin' saws.

I also have a 2700 sq. ft. colonial with a finished bonus room over garage making it 3100 and have a Lopi Freedom insert with a blower which only goes on when it is in the low 40's and it keeps the house perfect all winter and my bonus room stays at 62, bedrooms 65-68, and downstairs 68-72, heat was on only 3 times last year and one was a false alarm I shut it right off.

We make the Osburn brand. The 2400 is one of the biggest insert you can get. Make sure you take the dimensions of your fireplace to ensure it fits. We also have one of best if not the best warranty. For ex. we will replace the glass now matter how you broke it!

To the gentlemen who has the 2200 insert with the overdraft. I have the same problem in mine. My chimney is 28 ft long and runs inside the house. I've asked sweeps and many industry 'expert' and unfortunately there are no satisfying solutions in the market for an overdrafting insert (no matter the brand). It is dictated by the lenght of the chimney. It's one of those problems that is looking for a solution.

This web site seem to indicate they have draft control devices for chimney. I dont know anything about them just passing along some info. I've sent them an email asking if their devices have a means to automatically control overdraft.

Chimney Damper Source...chimney dampers & downdraft solutions...lyemance & lock top chimney flue damper...round flue dampers

We make the Osburn brand. The 2400 is one of the biggest insert you can get. Make sure you take the dimensions of your fireplace to ensure it fits. We also have one of best if not the best warranty. For ex. we will replace the glass now matter how you broke it!

To the gentlemen who has the 2200 insert with the overdraft. I have the same problem in mine. My chimney is 28 ft long and runs inside the house. I've asked sweeps and many industry 'expert' and unfortunately there are no satisfying solutions in the market for an overdrafting insert (no matter the brand). It is dictated by the lenght of the chimney. It's one of those problems that is looking for a solution.

This web site seem to indicate they have draft control devices for chimney. I dont know anything about them just passing along some info. I've sent them an email asking if their devices have a means to automatically control overdraft.

Chimney Damper Source...chimney dampers & downdraft solutions...lyemance & lock top chimney flue damper...round flue dampers

Those chimney dampers all have placement at the top of the chimney. I thought the best placement would be between the insert and the chimney, thereby thwarting overdraft before it gains momentum:msp_confused:

Those chimney dampers all have placement at the top of the chimney. I thought the best placement would be between the insert and the chimney, thereby thwarting overdraft before it gains momentum:msp_confused:

You're right. But there is no such critter that exists as far as I know.

I have to jump in on the Osburn. I have an older version of the 2400 (looks just the same) and it works GREAT for 3400ft from the basement (located pretty well centered w/flow through to second floor). Been in for two years now and the oil company is wondering why their auto delivery which is mandatory, is not working. Funny part is they thought I was buying from someone cheaper outside of contract! (which is necessary for the service on older oil burner).

I have a Lennox (Country Stove) Canyon C-310 insert and have been well pleased with its performance. Looks good and works good, I also had a great dealer that made it go well.

Steve

Latest posts

Back