Fireplace Insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieselscout80

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We bought a Oak Ridge fireplace insert that is from the 1980s that we are going to install it in our masonary fireplace.

The outlet of the insert is 12" x 8.125" which is about 96 square inches. Our chimney is lined with tile that is 11" x 10.25" which is about 110 square inches, but it looks it's not lined all the way down.

Since we are in South Carolina do we need to line our chimney all the way up or just up to the tile lining?

How big of a liner should I use?

Liner pipe:
6" = 28.27 square inches
8" = 50.26 Square inches

Is 6" liner pipe large enough for my insert?

The masonary chimney is about 13' tall from the top of the insert.

I'm thinking 8", but if I could use 6" it would make it easier to get it through the masonary chimney's damper and it would be less money too.

I think I'm going to go with 6" for this reason. The exit of the insert is larger, but the opening to the exit is blocked by a plate that is mounted to back wall of the chamber at a 45° to the top of the chamber (closer to the front of the chamber on the top). This plate prevents looking straight out the top of the insert and creates two opening to the exit that are triangular shaped 4"x7", so the two openings when combined equal a 4"x7" rectangle with a area of 28 square inch just like six inch round pipe.

Would you insulate a liner in South Carolina note the existing masonry chimney is an exterior chimney see attached pic.

How can I make an adapter to connect the insert to chimney pipe?

I have an Ashley from the eighties that is set up similar to yours. It just exhausts into into the chimney. I have been wondering the same thing about an adapter in case I ever decided to pipe it. I guess it would have to be fabricated. By the way, I seem to have no issues with it set up like it is, draws excellent.

I have a buck from the 80's with a similar set up. I installed a ss liner this past year. My chemny is 6"x 24" wide. My opening on fireplace is 4"x20". I bought a 5"x10" oval liner, insulated it with some ceramic insulation blanket we use where I work. I had to fabricate the top adapter, and I had hight issues to worry about too. I built a box out of angle with the leg turned out so it's like a flange. Plated the top in with 1/4" plate. I took a piece of 8-3/4" od pipe and squished it down to make an oval shape to fit my liner. Welded this on top of the plate. I bolted the adapter to the top of the insert. Worked out pretty good considering going from a 4"x20" to a 5" x 10" and only 2-1/2" tall overall. It fits and doesn't leak. Hurt my draft some. Only noticeable when the door is opened real fast with a fire burning inside. I have to crack the door for a couple seconds and then it's fine. I can take some photos or send you a drawing of what I built if you would like.

I did have to modify the surround plates. On my stove they bolt on from behind, so it looks nice and you don't see the screws. Installing the stove like I did with a liner, there was no way to get behind there to screw them on, so I had to silicone the surround to the body of the insert, and drill holes in my bricks and bolt it to the bricks. Easy to remove and looks great to us.

Last edited:
That is one funky exhaust, when that stove was made they didn't care about liners, just did a slammer install and sent the smoke up the chimney, a lot of chimney fires happened because of careless burning in inserts like that. That is going to take some crazy fabrication to get a liner to hook up to that insert (8" liner), I would consider reselling that thing and buying a newer EPA insert.

I am sure money is tight but remember you are inviting fire into your house, it can get pretty unruly sometimes.

Normally you can use a rectangle to round adapter to hook up older inserts to a liner, ain't gonna work on this one.

View attachment 259169

Back