Fireplace Insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWFORD79

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a fireplace that in the burn area is metal on the sides of the box and top then tapers up in the back to a metal damper door that opens and closes with a lever, up from the damper door it angles back again then goes straight up into the ceramic square chimney and straight up. The chimney is surrounded by brick and the whole firebox is surrounded by real rock and is all in a corner. I realize this may be hard to visualize by me saying what it is but am wondering how to install an insert in this or if an insert is even safe to put in this set up. We have burned wood in this fireplace for 5 years now and am tired of throwing away all the heat. Any help and suggestions would be of great help. I have considered the wood burning insert from Northern Tool catalog. Does anyone have any experience with this insert?

i had a weird setup aswell. what i did the forst two years was take a 6" stainless steel flex pipe and stomp the crap out of it and jam it up the chimney. now i realize it was stupid and unsafe but the house is still standing.

i would shut the stove down just after christmas and clean the pipe of just for peace of mind. it was never real bad just a little dirty.

this year i figured out how to fix it. basicly i took the plasma cutter home from work and cut a good chunk of the back out of the fireplace. this eliminated the severe angle the pipe had to go through which cause me to have to crush it.

Well sawford...you gotta spud bar all that crap outta' there.

The damper, the mortar and such around it. You need to make a relatively smooth transition from insert to flue. When you install an insert in a fireplace...it is a fireplace no more.

One guy holds it...the other guy slams it with a sledge. It's dirty and intrusive for sure. I ended up with a pile of bricks and mortar and damper parts that took two men and a boy to haul out.

If it needs to return to a fireplace somewhere down the road...say resale...you can install a flue cap damper...but you've probably smashed out the smoke shelf and everything else...

I had mine done...in reflection I'm pretty sure I could have done a nicer job...

Ask huskyrancher...he probably knows now how fun this is...

If you're dealing with strictly steel...you're gonna need to take his approach...plasma or cutting torch.

There are guys that do this for a living...if you buy the insert and pay for installation...well, they have too.

Not cheap. You'll need a flue liner as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back