Firewood Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterBoy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hay guys i am getting a 6 cord load of 24 foot long trees 16inches round and under.

when the guy drops it off with a pick.
do you guys know of a good way to handle it so i can start cutting. into 16inch long rounds to split into firewood.

should i get a bar so i can role the logs on the ground so i can cut. should i build something to stack the logs on when they come

this is my first time working with tree size firewood :) any tips or tricks on handling this load would help

thank you
Jason

Put them in a neat parallel stack. Roll one off at a time preferable onto some planks of wood or thin logs to lift each one off the ground, and cut them up that way. If you have good control over how they are placed, you could put a couple of long ones at 90 degrees on the ground first, close together, and then all the others on top afterwards. A peavey (Bailey's or Stihl 5 footers) would be good to turn them over.

Have fun!

What wood is it?

Dean

thanks Dan

the wood will be a verity of hard woods white ash oak maple. I'm just nervous this being my first time the big pile of 24 foot trees looks intimidating plus i will be splitting it all with a maul ;-)

but I'm up for the challenge and will do to the work for cheep heat for my home

thanks
Jason

Might be better to pre-cut them into 12 foot lengths first, before stacking them. 24' is quite a tangle.

Have you split wood before with a maul?

i just bought a 6 pound maul from sears 2 days ago and the first few tries i hit the handle ;-) then after that it went great and was fun :)

but six cords is allot of wood. my dad did it all the time i also got a new bar and chain combo for my chain saw witch rips real good now so im ready for the mother load next week ;-)

Jason

I will have to agree grab the two smallest logs leave them at 24 feet. Place these two at 90degrees to the truck and cut the rest fo the load right down the middle as they unload them thus makeing two logs out of one and stack them on the two full sizers 6 chords of wood is probably in the neighborhood of 16-20 24 foot logs depending on size of the logs

RoosterBoy said:
i just bought a 6 pound maul from sears 2 days ago and the first few tries i hit the handle ;-) then after that it went great and was fun :)

but six cords is allot of wood. my dad did it all the time i also got a new bar and chain combo for my chain saw witch rips real good now so im ready for the mother load next week ;-)

Jason

If you lived any closer, I'd bring my stuff over and help!:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

I've been doing this for 4 weeks now. Have done 6 cords myself of good wood. Ash, maple, hornbeam (this can't be split with a 6 LB maul unless you have massively powerful arms), oak, hickory and cherry.

thanks jpp you would have some good wood to go home with ;-) i just wish i could find someone that will go in half with me for a log splitter. not that I'm lazy i will split the who thing with a maul. but i think a splitter may be faster.

thanks

RoosterBoy said:
thanks jpp you would have some good wood to go home with ;-) i just wish i could find someone that will go in half with me for a log splitter. not that I'm lazy i will split the who thing with a maul. but i think a splitter may be faster.

thanks

Thats a lot of splitting by hand, you will get real tired of that (telling you from experience). 6 LB maul might be a little light...I think maple would split easy with that. I found I needed a 10LB maul for oak and hickory.
How much does a splitter cost to rent?
Think of it this way, if you are getting 6 cords (I will assume 6 face cords) for free you have saved yourself about $360-$400 already. Plus the logs are being delivered so you saved on gas, time and effort there.
Cut up all your logs to desired lengths, stack 'em up neat, rent the splitter and have at it. Should take you 2 good days with a engine powered splitter if doing it alone. Maybe weeks with the maul alone.
You'll still get plenty of exercise cutting the logs and stacking the split wood!!!! :)

Latest posts

Back