Firewood Rack Body

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
2 weeks ago I started getting the 87 GMC ready for the firewood season, it needed some new sideboards and a dump gate on the back. The body went pretty well, but the more time I spent looking around the more I found problems that would prevent getting a new commercial inspection sticker. The driver's side rocker panel was completely rusted off, I pop riveted in a new slip on and that took care of that. The passenger door had a big rust hole near the outer corner so I scavanged a door off another truck for that, it ain't pretty but should pass. When I lifted the bed I noticed that one shock mount had broken completely off and I broke the other side trying to remove it. The plan there is to cut both shocks off tomorrow and go without them until I can fabricate some new hangers. Next on the disaster cruise I notice both muffler hangers are broken and rusted beyond repair, another job for the red wrench.

The calcium solution they put on the roads here(Maine) in the winter is the kiss of death for the underside of vehicles, gas and brake lines are the most problematic.

I hope to get one more year outta the ole truck, my fingers are crossed. It is a strong dependable and cheap truck to run, I hate to see it end. You have so much money tied up, you hate to turn it into a plow rig.

What would I buy to replace it? Not sure. I don't drive it every day, I have an S-10 for that.

I borrowed the idea for the sides and the dump gate from Patrick62, he has one very similar to it on his ole Dodge.

Here is the ole boy;

IMG_1001-4.jpg

IMG_1001-3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a good setup. You should be able to fix the shock mounts and exhaust with a little wire-feed and a few hours. Is that a completely different mirror setup on the pass side? Looks kinda commercial!

Looks like a good setup. You should be able to fix the shock mounts and exhaust with a little wire-feed and a few hours. Is that a completely different mirror setup on the pass side? Looks kinda commercial!

Yes, I have both west coast mirrors but haven't had time to get the driver's side mounted. The small ones like on the the driver's door make it almost impossible to see with the rack body. I got a good deal on the larger mirrors, they are heated and have lights on them.

No way those 2x4s will act as a safety

Get yourself a piece of pipe 2-2.5 inch ID cut the length of the piston and cut a notch the length of it to allow it to fit over the exposed cylinder.. Them 2bys will go a flying in splinters..
Otherwise.. heck of a nice setup

Instead of fabbing your shock mounts...go to LMC Trucks website, prices ain't bad...had to replace the uppers on my '89 F-150, got them from LMC for 1/2 what dealer wanted,($16.00/ea,) but were new Ford stock. Ground off the rivets, put them in with Grade 8 bolts/nuts.

2 weeks ago I started getting the 87 GMC ready for the firewood season, it needed some new sideboards and a dump gate on the back. The body went pretty well, but the more time I spent looking around the more I found problems that would prevent getting a new commercial inspection sticker. The driver's side rocker panel was completely rusted off, I pop riveted in a new slip on and that took care of that. The passenger door had a big rust hole near the outer corner so I scavanged a door off another truck for that, it ain't pretty but should pass. When I lifted the bed I noticed that one shock mount had broken completely off and I broke the other side trying to remove it. The plan there is to cut both shocks off tomorrow and go without them until I can fabricate some new hangers. Next on the disaster cruise I notice both muffler hangers are broken and rusted beyond repair, another job for the red wrench.

The calcium solution they put on the roads here(Maine) in the winter is the kiss of death for the underside of vehicles, gas and brake lines are the most problematic.

I hope to get one more year outta the ole truck, my fingers are crossed. It is a strong dependable and cheap truck to run, I hate to see it end. You have so much money tied up, you hate to turn it into a plow rig.

What would I buy to replace it? Not sure. I don't drive it every day, I have an S-10 for that.

I borrowed the idea for the sides and the dump gate from Patrick62, he has one very similar to it on his ole Dodge.

Here is the ole boy;

IMG_1001-4.jpg

IMG_1001-3.jpg

That is sweeeeeeet!!! I want one! :jawdrop:

Instead of fabbing your shock mounts...go to LMC Trucks website, prices ain't bad...had to replace the uppers on my '89 F-150, got them from LMC for 1/2 what dealer wanted,($16.00/ea,) but were new Ford stock. Ground off the rivets, put them in with Grade 8 bolts/nuts.

I checked out LMC and they don't list the rear shock mounts for this truck. Thanx for the thought though! :cheers:

thats a nice looking rig. I would continue to fixer up and run her as long as possible . the price of something newer and that beefy is gonna cost you some change .
MD

After a conference call with the garage that does commercial inspections, he told me that alot of bigger trucks have no rear shocks and that if I cut the mounts off completely he will pass the truck. Off to the parts store, need a muffler and tailpipe.

After a conference call with the garage that does commercial inspections, he told me that alot of bigger trucks have no rear shocks and that if I cut the mounts off completely he will pass the truck. Off to the parts store, need a muffler and tailpipe.

Maybe Hendrickson or any walking beam suspension but all spring suspensions i've seen have shocks and for good reason.

Maybe Hendrickson or any walking beam suspension but all spring suspensions i've seen have shocks and for good reason.

I drive a tractor trailer . the trailers are both spring and air suspensions , neither one runs shocks
MD

One mount on the back had been broken for some time and I noticed no difference in the ride. I wouldn't dream of not having them on the front, they serve much more purpose there. I will eventually make some new mounts, until then we have some firewood orders to fill!

Back