First millings ever!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkupcha

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Today was beautiful outside so I decided to head for the woods here and try out my Granberg small log mill. Worked great. My saw is waayyy underpowered (echo 44cc) 16" bar but I went super slow with a sharp chain and got it done. Two 6"x6"x6' cants of maple. Had to carry them about 1/4 mile out of the woods but like I mentioned it was just a great day to be out doors. I can see how this gets into your blood! I'm already looking on ebay/craig's for a larger saw. Hope the pictures load but I've painted the ends. If anybody has suggestions for drying these out I'd appreciate it. Don't know if cants this size need stickering or not. Cut from the heart. Thanks for any tips and I'll keep posting pics when I get them.

Those suckers were a little heavy, no? The look like mighty fine 6x6s. What you gonna use em for?

Well awhile ago I posted on here asking if anybody was willing to sell me a slab they cut and ImBeachy was nice enough to offer one he had cut. So tomorrow I'll be driving the 90 miles down into Delaware to meet him and pick it up.
Those cants are what I envision using as legs and stretchers for the sofa table I plan to make. Not sure yet what design but I'll have plenty of time as I wait for them to dry and work on the slab top.
I used the Alaskan to cut the top and bottom and the Haddon lumber maker to cut the sides. I also would have gotten a mini-mill if I had seen it first but the Haddon works pretty well. I have a hand planer and can take out any small deviations. Especially since the look I'm after is a rough hewn feel.

Your 6x6s are a good start! After you get a bigger saw you'll be looking for a 30" Alaskan, but GO FOR IT!

Yes they do look like Railroad ties! :)

THis Maple log was about 20 foot long. Deep in the woods. I cut it into 3 pieces and milled only 1. I've got to go back and get the rest but I'm debating to wait till I get a bigger saw. I propped the other pieces up on limbs to keep it off the leafy floor so I figure I have time now. Just need to get those legs drying ASAP for my table. I picked the slab up from IMBeachy today (great guy). I took some photos so I'll post them later. THanks

Yessir-It ain't the equipment, it's the results! Little saws can do a surprising amount of work and if you tune 'em right they'll last a long time too. I like to run all my saws slightly rich so they blubber slightly at WOT. It's my belief the extra fuel helps cool the engine-never want to run lean. Good pics thanks for posting! :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back