First (real) chipper!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmsvickers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Won an auction for a vermeer 1250 with the Ford 300i6! Starts just fine and chips well enough with dull knives! All the bearings are smooth with no noticeable play.

It needs a bit of TLC bit it's all there!

I know they are love or hate but the price was right and it's the chipper I have now.

Does anyone have any recommendations or tips? I plan on getting new knives and sharpening the ones on it currently, so I'll have two sets.

I found the vin stamped inside the frame as the data plate is corroded away, and plan on sending off to vermeer for a manual and maintenance schedule.

Thanks for any responses!

They do have diesel engines and that would have been preferable but it is what it is.

I am pretty impressed with the engine so far looks very simple. I have experience with a fair number of i6 engines (BMW, jeep, and Cummins) but have never seen a Ford 300 in person

They do have diesel engines and that would have been preferable but it is what it is.

I am pretty impressed with the engine so far looks very simple. I have experience with a fair number of i6 engines (BMW, jeep, and Cummins) but have never seen a Ford 300 in person
Well I cannot comment on the chipper but as for the engine anyone who does not like the Ford 300 is just plain , well I am not sure. For when they were built and what they were used for they are great. Yes it is a 6cylinder gas it is not a 5.9 Cummins but there are still a huge amount of them in service every single day. Good engine

Even for the older Vermeer models parts are readily available through the dealer or factory direct, but pricey.
Best to research aftermarket first.

Service manuals are helpful but must be purchased from a dealer. You don't want to know the price.
Sometimes beater service manuals are listed on eBay for reasonable money.

Maintenance and operator manuals are usually free from Vermeer.

Latest posts

Back