"fish" in a bottle...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is 'common knowledge' that Marvel Mystery Oil is nothing more than simple automatic transmission fluid..!!

That's why you only add a little to the gas - certainly NOT a whole can or bottle..!! - it really doesn't do anything.

It's 'Great Properties' are just an ole country myth...it does no damage in small quantities - so use on if you want.
:cheers:
J2F

Nope, it may still be snake oil, but not ATF. It is this per the chemist at "Bob is the oil guy":

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- Anti Wear/Extreme Pressure agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff

Raging debates on bike and tractor forums. Came from the Aviation industry before WWWII. Some love it, Some no longer see a need, some say witches brew.
I don't use it in cars (oil & Gas), but do use as; a gun lube and rust preventer (Alaskan Guide turned me on to it), with b12 as a bore solvent, with kerosene as a carb soak, and straight as an air tool lube, general lube-pennetrant- solvent in a spray bottle, gas stabilizer. Who knows:dunno:

Where To Find - Nechanic in a Bottle

Mechanic In A Bottle is a fuel additive. What it does is cleans out deposits in fuel systems and also will soften diaphragms. Didn't believe it at first, but one of my reps said it really does work. Shop's been using it for several months now and it actually does work in cases where equipment has been sitting up. Not every case, but many. We also add it to the tanks of equipment when we finish working on them just in case the customer doesn't pick it up for a while after we fix it.
WFIW..I have checked around to see where it can physically be bought..as..in stock on a shelf.

Lowe's has it for $7.99 - two can thing - one can 'gas tester'..??..and the 2nd..the mechanic in a bottle.

Wal-mart has it for $6.97 and also two can deal - one can is 'ethanol shield'..??.. and the 2nd..the mechanic in a bottle.

NO auto stores carry it in my area...

My understanding is the 'original' comes in a 4 ounce bottle...but I can't see the volume on the double packs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAtIJIZ79nw - - pretty cool video...inho..

It appears that the bottles are 2 ounces instead of 4 ounces.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
cmarti - thanks for the "Bob is the oil guy" ingredients list.
I wonder if the wintergreen oil is intended for seals?
I've run across some stuff, on old motorcycle forums**,
about using oil of wintergreen to soften old (nla) carburetor boots, etc.
But I have no experience with it, just the reading of.

**( still got my non-running 1978 xt500e sitting around. bought 'er new )

cmarti - thanks for the "Bob is the oil guy" ingredients list.
I wonder if the wintergreen oil is intended for seals?
I've run across some stuff, on old motorcycle forums**,
about using oil of wintergreen to soften old (nla) carburetor boots, etc.
But I have no experience with it, just the reading of.

**( still got my non-running 1978 xt500e sitting around. bought 'er new )

You can get oil of wintergreen at a pharmacy. The navy used it to remove rust from ships. I use it with steel wool for rusty guns. Be careful and wear rubber gloves' as it is concentrated aspirin, and you can od absorbing through the skin. Don't know about seals.

Back