Fiskars X7 versus Estwing hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubster

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been a long time fan of anything Fiskars, all the way from pruning shears to my Iso-Core maul and everything in between. I have not owned the hatchet though, and have only owned cheapo True Value hatchets through the years. But I am also a big fan of Estwing claw hammers. Is one really much better than the other? Primary use would be splitting short boards into kindling, but I would also like something that can be sharpened to hold a good edge for chopping the occasional limb . My True Value hatchet head flew off the handle for the last time today, so I threw the handle in the stove and have a nice little wedge now.

I like mine. If you forget it outside it’ll fare better than and estwing. I used mine mainly for kindling in my basement until I got a kindling cracker. Check them out. They are worth it.

We have 3 fiskars hatchets. One by each stove for kindling and one that goes to the woods when I cut. Light, controllable, and very sharp (my hands have a couple scars). They are on par with my other fiskars products.

I have a friend who swears by the estwing hatchet\mini sledge combo for stove side use. Says he likes the heft the sledge provides.

We have 3 fiskars hatchets. One by each stove for kindling and one that goes to the woods when I cut. Light, controllable, and very sharp (my hands have a couple scars). They are on par with my other fiskars products.

I have a friend who swears by the estwing hatchet\mini sledge combo for stove side use. Says he likes the heft the sledge provides.
My wife was going to Lowes last night, so I just told her to bring me back a hatchet. All they had was the Estwing "mini maul" or Fireside Friend as they call it. I can see it will have its place, but I am going to order the Fiskars X7 as well. A 4 pound hatchet gets pretty tough to swing one handed after a few boards, and I can't see it being very easy to cut small limbs with.

Do you guys have Fiskars scissors? Never used better. I admit I'm biased due being a Finn

Do you guys have Fiskars scissors? Never used better. I admit I'm biased due being a Finn
Yep. They are amazing. I want one of those Fiskars Finnish axes. I just like the Stihl because whenever they break I take it back and get a new one or get it rehung for free.

Big fan of both companies. I have the X7 in the truck at all times.
I used to swing a 20oz Estwing ripping hammer all day and I think it ruined my elbow. I still use Estwing roofing hatchets and I have some of their rock hammers but all my carpentry hammers are wood handled, firewood tools are all wood or fiberglass.

Big fan of both companies. I have the X7 in the truck at all times.
I used to swing a 20oz Estwing ripping hammer all day and I think it ruined my elbow. I still use Estwing roofing hatchets and I have some of their rock hammers but all my carpentry hammers are wood handled, firewood tools are all wood or fiberglass.
I was always a fan of Vaughn hammers with wooden handles, but I admit I am bad about leaving tools laying out in the rain and the handles don't take too kindly to that. I ordered an X7 today, but can't figure out why a smaller X5 cost almost double? Nice tools though.

I was always a fan of Vaughn hammers with wooden handles, but I admit I am bad about leaving tools laying out in the rain and the handles don't take too kindly to that. I ordered an X7 today, but can't figure out why a smaller X5 cost almost double? Nice tools though.
My primary hammers are Vaughn. I have a 20oz I have rehandled at least six times. It's built dozens of homes in three states.

My primary hammers are Vaughn. I have a 20oz I have rehandled at least six times. It's built dozens of homes in three states.
I wish I had a nickel for every staple I have drove with a California Framer. My go to now is actually a Fiskars 22 oz. Nice hammer, but it does ring a bit.

Estwing all the way! I received a small hatchet with leather wrapped handle for Christmas, really nice piece of gear. Better yet, it’s made in the USA! American steel. Now you can step up to the plate while supporting the homeland.
I have a Fiskars splitting axe/mail, so not opposed to them, but there are better options available in other tools. Felco makes better pruners, and bought those after a Fiskars pair gave me trouble.

Back