footlock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickmu

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
To use the foot lock method do you rely on a certain type of shoe, or do you experts just have inner thigh muscles like vice grips.

a hiking boot with a small heel (not much of a recess in the arch area) and a rubber rand works best.

The long answer...

Several ways to footlock, all depend on correctly wrapping the rope around the feet. Nothing to do with thighs. Any shoes will work but footlocking will eventually chew up a shoe that isn't sturdy. Ankle high light hiking boot is probably best, as RB said shallow heel arch helps.

Doubled Rope 1:1 ascending footlocking both ropes:
Uses two feet, standard arborist tree access technique, many variations with ascenders and/or prusik up top, usually called "secured footlock"
(sorry, have no photos but I'm sure someone does)

DdRT 2:1 ascending, footlocking the tail
Use two feet, grab the down rope or tail with feet like so:
Footlocking the tail with two feet

Or use one foot like so:
Footlock the tail using one foot

-moss

Last edited:
I'd buy a pantin:). Straps to your shoe and has a cam that grabs rope. A hell of a lot easier. I just finished a Arbormaster course and have to still work on it. The one foot method is interesting

Last edited:
To use the foot lock method do you rely on a certain type of shoe, or do you experts just have inner thigh muscles like vice grips.

:laugh: ;) Exactly. Foot locking is hard to do at first. I just started climbing and have gotten better at it but also will spend lots of time trying to find a way to set a rope so I can trunk walk.
Rather than using the inner thigh muscles to hold the rope, try taking the time to get the rope in the exact position to be able to hold it with the sole of your shoe. Try at home on your couch. Pull on the rope while trying to hold it with your feet.

The one foot method is interesting

I've almost bought a Pantin but the one foot method works so well I just can't put the money down. Plus you can can use either foot unlike the Pantin. It's well known in the rec climbing world but a lot of work climbers never heard of it. Except those that hang around with rec climbers (I won't name names).

The technique is start out double footlocking the tail to get off the ground then switch to single foot once there's enough weight on the tail to self tend (up around 10 feet off the ground). Once you get it going it's very fast (like a Pantin).
-moss

Save your Money.

I've used a Pantin before and it basically does the same thing as the single footlocking method mentioned before. Do what Moss says. Double foot it until you get high enough and then wrap the rope as shown in his picture and the rope will tend itself. If you tilt your foot blade side down as you move your foot up the rope, then flatten it out, usually the rope overlaps itself and locks it around your foot enough to push yourself up on. The more you do it the better you get at it.
It's very effective, requires no extra hardware to worry about or maintain and you've got nothing on your foot when you're working around the tree.

Last edited:
Back