For the True CADdict only

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be VERY hesitant to run 3/8 chain on a 090G!

Here's what you guys are looking for ;) The only thing repainted is the wrap handle and the muffler. No, it's NOT FOR SALE :)

IMG_1731-L.jpg

IMG_1734-L.jpg

IMG_1738-L.jpg

IMG_1741-L.jpg

Brad, that is one nice looking saw. It will protect you from the antistihl for sure!

I would be VERY hesitant to run 3/8 chain on a 090G!

Here's what you guys are looking for ;) The only thing repainted is the wrap handle and the muffler. No, it's NOT FOR SALE :)

IMG_1731-L.jpg

IMG_1734-L.jpg

IMG_1738-L.jpg

IMG_1741-L.jpg
IMG_20161130_171545905.jpg might as well add the new model 090av all original paint bar and chain with kerf and helper handle. And like Brad's not for sale.

D@mn Brad. Now I have to vacuum the drool off my keyboard.

Care to share the story of that saw? I'm sure it's an interesting one.
I'd LOVE to! It was sold by government auction from the Park Rangers at the Pennyrile State Forest in Kentucky. Because they would not ship, there was little bidding. IIRC, I only paid $700 for it. It had only been used once or twice and had sat for decades. It was really dirty, but cleaned up VERY nice. I later found that two of the fiber linings had come off the clutch shoes. The B&C are original and the chain had never been sharpened.

Here's the best part....memories. I took off work that day and my late father rode with me for that 5-6 hour trip, each way.

IMG_1619-L.jpg

IMG_1628-L.jpg

IMG_1620-L.jpg

IMG_1614-L.jpg

IMG_1612-L.jpg

IMG_1616-L.jpg

Definitely not the holy grail of chainsaws. Stihl made a lot of the 090G's for a number of years.
They're out there. I would be very suspicious of this one being advertised as 137cc although
dealers and owners did install the 66mm kit on them. As pointed out the painted screws as well
as the paint on the fuel line and the top covers look to nice. Someone will own it for more than
it's really worth. I'm curious as to where it ends as i have been thinking of letting one go.

Thanks for the input. I like the idea of torque unstoppable more than speed. My 660 bogs more easily than I think it should, as does teh 056M2, which supposedly has lots of torque. I wish they stihl made gear drive saws, or at least an attachment. I don't much care about chain speed, I'm not racing anyone or anything. What pitch can an 090 run? Can it go small as 3/8? I really don't know; I've never seen one of these saws up close.
3/8 and 404 on a direct drive, now about chain speed vs torque depends on what you're doing I'd rather have the chain speed chasing big hard leaning alder then torque. But pulling my 5 foot bar buried in big oversized fir I'd take the torque as long as it doesn't come with the extra weight that's one of the issues with the 090 weight if you have to pack one and a set of jacks out with you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think it will be an 880 for me at some point. I'll save up for a new one, just so all the parts are new, and I can get decades of milling on an occasional basis out of it. I don't even mind the new restricted intake or rev limited coil; I am not a saw racer. In fact, after being immersed in the culture of frantically juggling more items than is sustainably possible at my last elementary school, I have rewritten the old Johnny Cash hymn "I shall not be moved" to "I shall not be rushed. Just like a log a-floatin' down a river, I shall not be rushed. Though all he¬¬ might break loose, I shall not be rushed. Something's bound to shake loose, I shall not be rushed..." Well, you get the picture. I wish I could relax more on this CAD. It is not a race, and there ARE more saws out there, regardless of how compelling this one seems. Hope y'all have a great day!

Latest posts

Back