Free firewood - how much would you have taken?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the words "free" and "firewood" occur in the same sentence its all good. I would leave the cottonwood behind though, if eastern cottonwood is like the stuff we have here I dont bother-it smells bad and burns worse.

None !!! I know I am the odd one but , I like to get in the timber and cut. If I take free wood it cuts down on my time in the woods !! I leave the free wood for the guys who dont like to get out and cut or cannot !

Depends on how my supply was... If I had plenty, I would still take the hardwood, if I was low and scrounging had not been good then I would take a bunch regardless of what species.

Ian

funny around here the creaks still have flood trees laying on the banks--never got around to asking who/where I would get permission to take the stuff

and now somebody posts a pic of an ash tree--I've been cutting those up for a couple days now--they were black ant damaged and were blown down

didn't know what kind of trees they were until lastnight when I started searching

the website i found said ash is a hardwood so how does it compare to oak?

but yeah take it all--you wouldn't want somebody saying that was a waste of time to pile it there and then next time they just burn it or scrap it

Don't forget me! I would get as much possible, making as many trips as you need. It looks like nobody else much cares whether you get it or not, since I don't see any others getting any. Throw a tarp over the wood when you get it home and it will last at least a couple years.

I would have taken the ash and left the rest. I have become spoiled lately (haven't even burned any yet) and been luck with all oak and ash. I did a favor this weekend to the guy I cut wood off his property and took a bunch of poplar and maple...fresh cut, just to get it out of his way. I spent a whole day doing nothing but cleaning up that crap for nothing other than campfire wood.

Man I hate poplar!!!

Latest posts

Back