Front D saddle spreader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TREETX

TREETX

Addicted to ArboristSite
A few years back an employer gave me one. The reduce the pinch of a butt strap saddle. For me though, it is akward because it is bulky and heavy. The snaps don't lock.

My $0.02

Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
The comfort and usefulness will depend on the saddle you are using and how it fits you. I used to use one all the time when I climbed with a Bashlin 637. Back then I didn't use a split tail or tress cord system so I tied off to the eye and made my friction hitch with the tail-works great. You could probably use 2 locking 'biners in the eye without problem but not 2 snaps.

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
I was using a couple spreader snaps before you guys switched me over to the split tail system and I bought the new saddle. I don't think you should have much of a problem finding a locking spreader snap. Doubt you should have any problems with attaching your ropes either. It definately does aleviate the pinch inflicted by the D rings. The locking spreader I have is goldish in color. The non locking one was plain old metalic in color.

TheTreeSpyder

TheTreeSpyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
i use one of the locking Sherrill spreader snaps.

i had used one of the non-locking ones for years, i have gotten twisted around where one leg came open 2x in about 6 years, so i had asked Sherrill about a locking one several times. Then The Christmas Tobe, answered my prayers one year and they had put a locking style one that is great in their toy catalouge of their candy store. Then also, they started carrying BugEyez too after asking a few times! Just another reason i am such a Sherrill fan.

Without the splitter i get a lot of pinch on my thighs, i really need it, i don't see how bigger guys live without it, if i get that kind of pinch! i like the lack of pinch and bringing both lines to one center point rather than one to each Front D person-ally.

But, i think that JP is right (don't tell him!); and have been waiting for a chance to get to a Vermeer dealer to try diffrent saddles to dispense with this, the heaviest gear item on my saddle after my guys rinsed my last belt in gas! i am using an olde belt, until then.

Ummmmmm, wait a minute, i thought i was the most sarc-ass-sick Lil'Mo'Fo hear, or did you really think i was gone that easy?

FBerkel

FBerkel

ArboristSite Operative
Spider,

You're definitely the best high-fun-aider on the site.

I figure they make the spreader non-locking because they've go two attachment points, and figure that only one comes off at a time, so nobody falls to the ground. But it doesn't sound like much fun to me. I used one for about a year, then upgraded to a split tail-friendly saddle.

--Fred