german scientists and tapered hinge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When reading on some prior posts on the tapered hinge discussion there was a comment by Murphy4trees back in August of 2004, "Then Ken Palmer said something to me at TCI about these German scientists, fiberologists or something, swearing that the tapered hinge makes no difference...."

I've read somewhere that Tim Ard has recommended against the tapered hinge. Although I don't agree with his premises.

My experience has been contrary to this and with green wood I'm a tapered supporter. I can really see where if falling next to homes I'd develop the Murphy tendency of leaving a little taper on the away side.

My question; Does anyone here know of any german scientist published materials on this?

Forget about scientists, German or otherwise. I remember this, Murphy was talking about "the tapered hinge", I thought it was something new but it means leaving more holding wood on the off lean side, duh!. Learned that almost day one, every faller does it, who hasn't? This topic was mostly about arborists, as Murphy said, not having much of a clue on falling trees. Smoke, the only thing you can learn here about falling is from fallers, I have, arborists are not fallers, some of them they think they know it all but they don't. And finally, Germans invented diesel engines, rockets, synthetic oil and a bunch of other cool things but people here were falling before and after both world wars, it takes skill, not rocket science.

Back