Getting into a gnarly old white pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moss

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Climbed a tall white pine in the woods, a fat column with a tangle of big dead wood starting at 60 ft. or so. Rope in at 80+feet, that's where we had to go to get a good branch. Used a slingshot to get the TIP, worked the throw bag by feel, no way to see it. After testing the TIP we SRT'd up and switched over to long lanyards to keep climbing. The top had a perch like a hand on an arm angled off center out over space. Nice winter climb.

Ready to climb
2240517219_3c26b3ed4d.jpg

Another big white next door
2241325252_a6c091c569.jpg

Sitting in the top
2240533925_6aaf8c70db.jpg

The rest of the photos

-moss

good stuff moss.

where ya been how ya been? just got a copy of the book you did the drawings for. looking forward to reading it.

glad to see you out and about.

Thanks Ol' Dirty. I've been around, busy with my day job and climbing weekends to stay sane. Can't get enough of white pine lately. We should get a climb planned with OTG and the rest. Enjoy the book!
-moss

Sap

Hi Moss,

Thanks for the great pictures.

Do your ropes pick up a lot of sap from the white pine?

Bob

Hi Moss,

Thanks for the great pictures.

Do your ropes pick up a lot of sap from the white pine?

Bob

None at all. I've got a flexible pipe cambium protector on my long lanyard so there's no contact there and the SRT line has minimal contact with the tree.

The other thing is that there is very little sap on healthy wild white pine.
-moss

Last edited:
Sorry I missed you guys on sat AJ, glad to hear it was a success

i'll be there homeboy.

the crew going in as well.

any of you boys want to find just how big of a jerk i really am now is the time to find out. lol

ask the guys i work with they wont be shy.

see ya there O.

hahahahhahaha

...any of you boys want to find just how big of a jerk i really am now is the time to find out. lol

Ol'dirty, I don't know what you're talking about, ye'r one mellow dude.

Can this be added to the TCC comp events? It would be called "Biggest Jerk in the Tree Freestyle". The winner is whoever can cause the judges to become the most disgusted with grandiose displays of buffoonery and simultaneous stupidity. If you're really good you don't even have to get off the ground, just talk about how great you'd be if you were climbing. So many possibilities. It could be one of the most difficult comp events to win since all tree climbers think they're the best, right?
-moss

Last edited:
Ol'dirty, I don't know what you're talking about, ye'r one mellow dude.

It could be one of the most difficult comp events to win since all tree climbers think they're the best, right?
-moss

I can't tell you how many "best climber ever" must be out there based on the stories I've heard.

Of course they can't be true because I am...............;)

Back