Good sharpener to buy!! and good price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt9923

Stihl bustin knuckles
Reaction score
After getting my first chain sharpener for 30$ i didn't know why they even made files anymore (my file has saved me many time i love it). It was a northerntool china man model.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200327451_200327451

Hell for 40$ shipped and 8 months of use it was more then worth it. It is loud and spins itself to death but it sharped over 50 chains on the same wheel. This is very simple to put together and use. Manuals useless IMO.
Then i bought this 1

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200327449_200327449

wow its 90$ now was 130, i might just stock up on them. it was harder to learn but i got the hang of it in 10 minutes. It works great has power and it quiet. The motor doesn't bogg out or anything like if seen in other posts. When i ordered it it was late i thought it was Oregon and IMO its similar but a little less quality. Has done 50 chains and is still running strong like when i first bolted it to my parts cabinet. Iv made 150$ sharpening chains and many of mine, i have 12 chains and 3 min a chain you cant beat it.
Its onley 120 shipped about that's nothing when you look at time savings, pros of a sharp chain ext...Dont know why everyone doesn't have 1. You don't need the Oregon even tho im getting one cause I WANT it.
Matt

I always use a file as I can take off just enough very lightly leaving a very sharp edge but would like a grinder but the price here is the UK is just crazy to what your paying over with you.:cry:

Um 30 for a cheepo that works a year, and 100 for a good one, dont need the 300+ orogon yet. On the 160th chain and its still new condition. If you do alot of chains, i have 12 chains its well worth it and sharpen for costomers and it pays for itself in no time.
Matt

Iv made 150$ sharpening chains and many of mine, i have 12 chains and 3 min a chain you cant beat it.
Its onley 120 shipped about that's nothing when you look at time savings, pros of a sharp chain ext...Dont know why everyone doesn't have 1. You don't need the Oregon even tho im getting one cause I WANT it.
Matt

Thanks for the info I've also been using the little 40$ chepo for years and about to upgrade. I've actually looked at this one several times lately and think I may just have to try one too! The price is definatley right and if you can do a chain in 3 minutes I will be saving a lot of time as well.

Thanks for the info I've also been using the little 40$ chepo for years and about to upgrade. I've actually looked at this one several times lately and think I may just have to try one too! The price is definatley right and if you can do a chain in 3 minutes I will be saving a lot of time as well.

3 min for 20" and more for bigger chains but if u run full skip it even faster. (shapening time is fats but prep/adjustment takes a while when your fist trying to figure it out. for 3/8 chain i use 50degr on the back angle and 30degre on the vise part.
I figured it would have lasted a year or 2 but its still going so im happy with it. the clamp vise came lose 1 time so you might hvae to do a few custome adjustments to get it where you want but its good for teh price.
Matt

Back