Goodby to the saws...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
..for awhile. Out today to finish up a good size locust I cut a yesterday. Got a small load and headed home knowing that that will be the last time. Will have to be a sitter for the wife or hire a sitter whenever I want to leave the house for a few hours. She is too unstable on her feet even using a walker to leave for long.

At least I do have a couple cords of locust waiting to be split/stacked, need to replenish the woodshed. Maybe deliver some wood to my few customers...

Already having withdrawal symptoms.

Harry K

Harry, just think of it as time to get some good time in with your new splitter.

Hope your other half make a good and speedy recovery.

Steven

Hope your wife makes a quick recovery, chainsaw withdrawal is a serious disease, don't want to see you in the hospital too. :)

Sorry to hear. If you lived closer by, I'd drop off a small truckload of 4' lengths so you could have at least a little fun close to home.

Be well and take care!

Sorry to hear that. Hope things improve with the wife's health.

Ditto from Mt. Falls. I spent 2 months taking care of the wife/house after she got bit by a copperhead....I feel your pain.

Only about 2-3 pickup loads more to cut/split, then I'm done till fall.

Things looking up a bit. She is improving every day and getting around well with the walker. The only reason I am now pretty well locked down is in case of anohter seizure but the meds seem to be preventing that.

Her sister was here for a week and waited on her hand and foot. Dropped her off at the bus station and came home for a talk on how there will be no 'hand and foot' - what she can do for herself (fix a snack, get to the bathroom, etc.) she would do herself. That changed things a bunch.

At the rate I am going, I have a week or more of work around the wood pile to get done anyhow.

Harry K

I have a close frind that i look up to and his wife has a thing like MS where she will be ok then just freeze!!
he has been working on his home to get it ready for a motor type chair and bathroom that will allow her to be more independant.

we have set up a remote system that keeps an eye on her day so she is safe so i am thinking you may be able to take advantage of some of the same types of devices so you can get back to your love of wood.

not knowing all the details of what you are dealing with is she recovering from an accident??

shayne

I have a close frind that i look up to and his wife has a thing like MS where she will be ok then just freeze!!
he has been working on his home to get it ready for a motor type chair and bathroom that will allow her to be more independant.

we have set up a remote system that keeps an eye on her day so she is safe so i am thinking you may be able to take advantage of some of the same types of devices so you can get back to your love of wood.

not knowing all the details of what you are dealing with is she recovering from an accident??

shayne

Her blood thinner dosage got out of whack - blood too thin - brain aneurism - craniotomy in rehab for 3 months. Just got her out of rehab last week. Almost back to where she was prior to the problem and still improving - mostly just needs to build some strength back up.

For house prep, I have put up railings and grab bars every place possible. Last was a chain and handhold hanging from the bathroom ceiling she uses to pull her self up off the pot. The two grab bars I put there weren't sufficient.

Harry K

Last edited:
sounds like she will be good as new in some time.

I would put down the saw and spend all the time you need by her side.

I would be lost without my wife!

as a prep for my failing lower back and possible upcoming sergery I am redoing my heating system and making sure no matter what it is all covered if I can't get to the wood pile ect.

there is a huge world of products that help semi disabled people get through there day.

I hope she gets better for summer and you guys can go out and enjoy yourselves.

take care

Turnkey, At 70 years of age, I am just a cranky old bachelor who has always lived alone. About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer, stage 3. I needed destructive chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant if I were to have any chance of recovery. Started the chemo in an excellent local hospital but some of the chemo caused hallucinations and I was unable to care for myself.

My sister and brother-in-law insisted I move in with them in New Jersey for a month or so during the chemo phase of preparing for the stem cell transplant. That "month or so" ended up being 9 months. They and I went through pure hell during that nine month period. However, they never once complained about my vomiting, pooping, peeing, bleeding and all the other things they had to tolerate for me. My life was spent in hospital, a walker and a wheelchair.

I told them many times the immeasurable debt of gratitude I owe them for what they did for me. Because of them and a few good doctors I am alive today.

If she hasn't already done so, your wife will tell you how much her day to day survival depends on all the help you can give her now.

Keep helping as much as you can because there is a special place in heaven for you and others like you who change their lives so others may survive.

Best wishes and quick recovery to both of you.

John_M

Back