Got Wood In The House?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone live in Minnesota north of the cities?Just got up and I am out of wood in the house and it's snowing like crazy(looks like about 31 outside,should have done it yesterday,the wood I am burning now is like a block away from the house)and sounds like it will keep up all day.The weather report for tomorrow is for at least 20 below wind chills:cheers:

-34C (-29F) here this morning, but we just filled up the wood rack in the basement yesterday.

The garage pile is gone, but all we have to do is back the truck up to the woodpile today and it will be full in no time. Plowed everything out yesterday so after it warms up a bit we will head out to the woodpile that we are working from right now.

:cheers:

That will teach you to procrastinate. :cheers:
Had to go shopping with wife yesterday and when I got home around 2:30PM my brother was out so I helped him split,stack and cover a couple cords and it was dark when we got done and did not think the snow would be here so early:givebeer: we did have a few:cheers: maybe too many(had to finish using the truck headlights,seems we have to use them alot:cheers: )

I feel for you guys up in that cold belt, its a balmy -20 here today clear skies and lots of sunshine. Got the saws out as this is the best time of year to block up wood for next years burning, 20 cord done 20 to go.
Pioneerguy600

Yea, I had to go shopping yesterday also. Sioux Falls was busy. Got home around 4 and quick cut a small pickup load of dead cottonwood and got it stacked in the basement by dark. It was about +32 F. This morning it was -10 and about 35mph winds, snow, and drifts in the yard 4' deep. I'm sure glad we got the basement loaded yesterday. Looks like we'll be home tomorrow, at least most of the day.

I made a rack that holds enough for two weeks in cold weather (mortise and tennon with white ash I milled). I try not to let it get empty if I know it's going to storm/get real cold:

I like the mortise and tennon joints that you used. My wood rack is made from wood also, but is shorter and wider, and is only held together by screws. I use the top to hold kindling.

I like the mortise and tennon joints that you used. My wood rack is made from wood also, but is shorter and wider, and is only held together by screws. I use the top to hold kindling.

The rack was a practice for traditional scribe rule timberframing layout.

All layout done using divider, chalkline, and plumb bob. No tape/rulers, squares, etc......

The beams were sawn (logosol mill) but all the joinery done using hand tools (crosscut/rip saw, hand brace/auger, chisels/mallet).

The bottom joints are shouldered mortise and tenon, so the tie beam/post supports the load; not the tenon (I fill the rack to the ceiling). You can see the layout lines in the pics:

The rack was a practice for traditional scribe rule timberframing layout.

All layout done using divider, chalkline, and plumb bob. No tape/rulers, squares, etc......

The beams were sawn (logosol mill) but all the joinery done using hand tools (crosscut/rip saw, hand brace/auger, chisels/mallet).

The bottom joints are shouldered mortise and tenon, so the tie beam/post supports the load; not the tenon (I fill the rack to the ceiling). You can see the layout lines in the pics:

That's even more impressive doing it all in a traditional way! Thanks for posting up those additional pics.

:cheers:

Anyone live in Minnesota north of the cities?Just got up and I am out of wood in the house and it's snowing like crazy(looks like about 31 outside,should have done it yesterday,the wood I am burning now is like a block away from the house)and sounds like it will keep up all day.The weather report for tomorrow is for at least 20 below wind chills:cheers:

That weather comin' east? Sounds like fun, and I want to sell my last 7 Husky snow blowers!

Global warming huh, well it was near 80 degress here today in beautiful Arlington, Texas. I mulched leaves at 10:00 a.m. in shorts, then cleaned up and ran all the fuel out of my mower, trimmer etc. now that the cold weather is finally here.

I still have a lot of green grass, but the tree leaves are all off now though.

This is the set up my stepdad and myself put in his basement. They had an old pellet stove and locally pellets in large amount are hard to come by,
so they got this wood burner off craigslist for about 300$. We had to angle the pipe to allow for proper clearance from the walls.
My mom had a galvanized water troth for her horse she wasn't using to store the wood. The troth is nice since it keeps any
bugs in the wood from getting on the floor and into the house.

DSCN0577.jpg

Latest posts

Back