Granberg small log mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaverenvy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
SE Michigan(but heading home to Co. soon!)
Evening. I just saw(no pun intended) the gransberg small log mill designed for milling with a 20 inch bar. Obviously bar size alone does not say too much and there is no suggested minimum size saw. My question to you gurus- how do you think this mill would work with a 372XP in hardwood with a ripping chain? I am not trying to turn my 372 into a milling saw just occassional use. I will add a 660 or 395 to my stable at some point. As always- your opinions are appreciated.

I started milling with my 460, 28" bar and a GB 36" mill. It got the job done, but was slow, using the 28" bar. Although, when I milled my siding, I put the 20" on the 066, and it didnt really seem like much of a difference between the 28 and the 20.

There is a member on here who has used that mill with a Husky rancher, so Im sure the 372 would do just fine.

When my 066 is upstate I mill with my husky 359xp. It does the job in softer woods. I would use it in hardwood too, but only in slimmer cuts. I think it is a good start but go easy and get the mix right. If the saw get hot, take a break.
If your cutting with a 20" bar I don't think you'll get into too much trouble.

Your 372 will do for small stuff, say 12 inch wide, even wider as ADRPK says in softwood, just fine if you take it easy and don't push it. You will need patience for anything wider though. During the few months between when I bought my Granberg csm and until I got my 395XP, I used my 365 with a 36 inch bar. (I know, sounds a bit silly don't it?) Yes it was underpowered and slow going, but I got through 26 inch wide oak with patience. If you are serious about milling though, as you will find reading previous milling threads, you will eventually need a big saw. Milling requires power, there is no way around it.

The decision is getting some help

Thanks all- As so often happens nature has intervened. Thanks to the recent rain and wind I have a huge cottonwood that is now leaning into an elm which is leaning into another elm. No way a 20 inch bar will go through this tree. That 395 or 660 will be purchased sooner than expected. Oh well- sort of a throw me in the briar patch problem.;)

small mill

beaverenvy said:
Thanks all- As so often happens nature has intervened. Thanks to the recent rain and wind I have a huge cottonwood that is now leaning into an elm which is leaning into another elm. No way a 20 inch bar will go through this tree. That 395 or 660 will be purchased sooner than expected. Oh well- sort of a throw me in the briar patch problem.;)
Hi beaverenvy I have a 372 that I mill with on the small mill it does fine for small stuff 14inch and under but I will say this I pickup up a 3120 and the 36 inch mill and that set up is smoken.:rock:

Latest posts

Back