Grapple truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastsidetimber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys -

I'm looking at purchasing a grapple truck soon. Will be used mostly for residential work (pruning/removals) as well as some smaller logging/land clearing jobs. I'd like to get a tandem axle rearmount with debris box (40/50 yards?).

First, is a truck this size suited to residential work? I have loaders to get the debris roadside if need be, as opposed to getting the truck on a driveway....

Second, I'm in the Seattle, WA area and around here I can off load debris for roughly $320 for 40-50 yards. Thats fine as I feel the cost will be significantly offset by not running chippers, saving time at the job, and not wearing out the crew. What i would LIKE to do is to get the brush back to the yard and send it through a 1590xp, 2400xl type machine into a 50 yard hooklift box. For starters, is that even a viable plan if the brush is loaded relatively neatly into the grapple truck in the first place? Or is it going to be a situation where its going to HAVE to be put through a tub grinder? (We do a lot of doug firs, hemlocks, western red cedar, cottonwoods, and big leaf maple)

As far as this next question goes, I'm completely new to the subject. What I would LOVE to see happen is to realize a little value from the chips, and not as mulch. Theres several plants within 40 minutes of me that will pay for chips. Does anyone know what their specifications for chips are and possibly a ballpark number of $/ton? Will they even accept chips run through a 1590/2400 (including all needles, leaves etc) or a tub grinder that might produce a more uniform chip? I should say at this point as well that I would want to chip/grind regardless as a wood recycler just down the street accepts chips for free....

Thanks in advance for all the answers...really looking forward to what you all have to say!!

Derek

Latest posts

Back