Grind cutters down to "witness mark" OK? Safety?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How far can you grind down the cutters on a chain and still use the chain safely?

Grind all the way down to the "witness mark"? Or something less than that?

I've seen chain ground a good ways past the witness mark with probably 95% of the cutters still on. That said, it did NOT cut well at all, and I wouldn't recommend it.

chains that get that worn gets relegated to dirty jobs like cutting stumps.

Use for dirty work. Otherwise new chain loops are inexpensive enough to keep you safe. Relegate them to the metal recycling bin.
:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

You can grind them till the teeth start breaking off and not be in much danger.
A chain seems to me to get faster as it's filed back, to a certain point. After that it starts going down hill pretty quick. So to me it's not worth taking the teeth back that far.
I've noticed (in race chains) that when a tooth breaks off it will stick in the log, taking out several teeth behind it.

Andy

Some of my faster chains are the ones at the end of their lives. Assuming correct angles, they still hold an edge properly, clear chips beautifully, and touch up with a file just fine - lots of room to work. Now, they may worry Woodie a bit when they get ground this far back, but even he will agree that they can cut!

My local Stihl dealer must think the witness marks are the same as crosscut marks on a piece of lumber. Not much left after he gets done "grinding" a rocked chain. He did one chain for me. He will never do another.

Latest posts

Back