Grrrrrr....Echo recoil spring? Grrrrrr!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoo boy this is a PITA. I sold/gave my old Echo SRM-2400 to my community garden, and the durn pull cord broke. The :censored: spring came undone, and I can't seem to be able to git it back in right. I put it down before I got too mad, but I do need to git it back together, any idears?

Hoo boy this is a PITA. I sold/gave my old Echo SRM-2400 to my community garden, and the durn pull cord broke. The :censored: spring came undone, and I can't seem to be able to git it back in right. I put it down before I got too mad, but I do need to git it back together, any idears?

why wont it go back together? how far do you get before it turns pear shaped

I fought that for a while on my small Echo, then bought a good used recoil assembly on eBay.

Problem solved! :D

Bump. C'mon guys, this is a mess. There has to be a way to successfully reinstall this stupid spring! The trimmer has a lotta life left in it, but I dont wanna buy a new recoil just because the pull cord frayed off...........
Somebody has to have the trick for this poor designed little dievice. If it were a Stihl, there would be a little cage to wind that spring in.

So when you pulled the spool out, the spring stayed hooked, and came all out and went flying across the room?

Good news!

The fix takes about 3 minutes to do!

Go to a dealer, ask for a new SRM-2400 (take your serial number with you) recoil spring. It comes in a wire cage. You set the spring and cage down inside the housing, and using a screwdriver, push the spring down as a unit, out of the wire cage, into the housing. Then put your screw back in the middle, tension the rope, put the recoil back on and TA DA..done

I replace about 1 spring a month, usually on models that customers have tried to fix the rope on, and the spring flew out because they didnt know the make sure it was released. It's not worth the fight to put the spring back in...trust me on this one, it's something that will end up giving you ulcers. The spring is inexpensive, and it's just about foolproof to install.

I wind it up tight, grip it with needlenose, and stuff it in the little housing. The outer three wraps stay high and wont go all the way down in there. Stinkin non-Stihl design...........

oh and pssstt....It's not a design flaw that made this happen. Stihl springs can come loose too if you dont make sure the hook is released from the spool.

I was able to rewind the spring on a 026 with no problem whatsoever. THis is apparently some Hara-Kiri inducing little glitch in an otherwise superior piece of machinery.

nah, it's the fact that the spring housing is very compact, not unlike Stihl, Husky, etc, other Full crank TRIMMERS.

A saw typically has a larger spool, and a larger spring housing, at least usually, Im sure there are exceptions.

better?

I have to resize my old avatars down to 100X100, what a messed up av size.

150X150 RULES.

I wish I knew how to prepare an avatar pic...........
Oh btw I was only kidding, just cause yer old avatar ran so counter to my sig, mund. I am still trying to figure out how to recalibrate my Morphulus relay so that the flux coefficient will properly align with the modulus of morbidity.:dizzy:

So when you pulled the spool out, the spring stayed hooked, and came all out and went flying across the room?

Good news!

The fix takes about 3 minutes to do!

Go to a dealer, ask for a new SRM-2400 (take your serial number with you) recoil spring. It comes in a wire cage. You set the spring and cage down inside the housing, and using a screwdriver, push the spring down as a unit, out of the wire cage, into the housing. Then put your screw back in the middle, tension the rope, put the recoil back on and TA DA..done

I replace about 1 spring a month, usually on models that customers have tried to fix the rope on, and the spring flew out because they didnt know the make sure it was released. It's not worth the fight to put the spring back in...trust me on this one, it's something that will end up giving you ulcers. The spring is inexpensive, and it's just about foolproof to install.

That is the reason I save those cages when I buy a rewind that is in one.
I drive 2 three penny nail in a piece of plywood about one inch apart, hook the inside end of the spring on one nail and wind the spring arround the other nail. when i get it small enough I hold it with needle nose pliers and place the cage over it. Release the spring slow or you will be hunting it. Just make sure your cage is smaller than the opening that the spring goes in. Tom

Back