Gulf Pistons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktoom

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well i got cheap and got a Gulf piston for my Husky 372. I purchased them before without any problems... Well untill now lol. I rebuilt the saw over the weekend. It ran great, but i never got to cut any wood with it cuz the E-clip kept coming off, due to a peace missing off of where it goes onto the crankshaft. I had to get a new crank to fix the problem. Well when i was disassembling the saw, i got to the piston and nearly pooped myself lol. There were little gashes on the dome of the piston. What caused that? Anybody else every have this happen? You think i should run it or replace it with a husky piston?????

Last edited:
These may not be big enough but here goes......

attachment.php

attachment.php

I can open it with Nero but rather than thinking about the piston just yet I would suggest you check out the lower end. I think you may still have some pieces of something, bearings, retainer,or shield, left in there........Bob

Piston

I don't think it's bad, but I am wondering what in the heck did that to the top of it...??? Only thing i can possibly think is that when it goes towards the UP position, it's actually moving too far up and hitting the top of the Cylinder. I'd check the lower bearing etc... and make sure this is the correct piston. You need to check everything in the lower half before you go throwing that p/c back in there dude. I don't see any scuffs or dents on the sides of the piston so I wouldn't worry about it as of yet, as long as the ring is ok...

:popcorn:

The file format is just standard windows paint... works fine, but .jpg would load faster.

Back to the piston - something was loose in your engine. Check your bearing cages very carefully, and look at your piston for areas where casting flash has broken off. The Golf piston are often poorly finished - you should go over them carefully before installing...

When i had it apart i cleaned everything. I had to split the cases to take the old crank out cuz the con-rod was bad. I made sure no debris was in there.The only thing i am thinking now is that there may be some small peaces still hangin out in the muffler????

When i had it apart i cleaned everything. I had to split the cases to take the old crank out cuz the con-rod was bad. I made sure no debris was in there.The only thing i am thinking now is that there may be some small peaces still hangin out in the muffler????
If you want to replace that golf with a oem piston talk to simonizer I believe he has a few oem ones on hand he'd sell.

You guessed it

You have to be ABSOLUTELY SURE that there are NO loose pieces in the muffler

You also need to run brushes through all the ports when changing a cage damaged crank as little pieces like to stick to port walls and look like they are part of the casting.

That piston should work fine for you still as the damage is pretty slight.

Just look very closely at the marks on the edge of the crown to make sure there are no cracks started on the top ring land/edge of the piston crown.

Last edited:
There is something loose, causing a the "stamp effect" on the top of your piston. It should be easy to find, if it's bigger than your squish clearance in the combustion chamber.

The piston is fine though, re-usuable indeed.

Well i finally got her back together. She's running great and i gotta say its got alot more zipp than my new MS440. It went through a 20" log of oak way quicker than the 440. Mind u i had the same size chain and bar on both saws....and both chains were sharp too. Im starting to think that my MS 440 might have to go on the market???????????? Unless u guys think i should go with the different muffler cover for the 440?????

The file format is just standard windows paint... works fine, but .jpg would load faster.

yup its format known as bitmap. it was the first image format available. it has absolutly terrible compression. each pixel takes up the same amount of space which is a hexadecimal and location value. JPG uses a handy dandy compression algorythm. BMP is mspaints default file format. it is still used today because it doesn't requier to be decompressed (which takes up more cpu resources). quite often in video games.

is there anything wrong with the cylinder too? if so and you still want to go for an economy piston and cylinder you should try bailies big bore kit for that saw. i have put a good amount of hours on mine and its still going strong.

I'll keep that in mind. I wanna put some hours on the saw to see how she is gonna hold up. The saw itself had very little time on it when the con-rod bearing went bad. The saw looks almost new lol.

Latest posts

Back