gypsy moth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodsy, is right!
There is only ONE way to control this vile pest.
Fire up your spray rig, boost her up to about 300psi, don your rubber gloves, full face shield, tyvex suit and rubber boots and spray that tree with Conserve or Talstar or Pyronyl or Onyx or even try Dendrex capsules.

You will acheive control and you can even bill @ appx. $130 hr. for the isolated spray.

"you have to admit compared to Hort oil or most other products out their it is a hell of a lot more host specific,Bio rational, and environmentally friendly." - woodville, claiming the environmental impact of an insecticide such as Conserve being sprayed onto the canopy is less than horticulture oil applied to the base of the trunk.

We should all sleep better knowing woodville has a spray rig and a jobbox full of "safe" insecticides.

go get em, tiger. :sword:

Weasel your getting way off topic now. If you can sell a trunk spray of Hort oil to a client with a strait face in mid to late summer after the tree has been defoliated good for you. If you honestly believe this alone will be an effective control go get your money. Hort oil is a great product with many benefits however effectively controlling Lepidoptra is not one of them. Sure I could use any one of the products you listed in your last post or even more toxic ones like allot of my competition still due. However I choose to use based on my research and experience the most bio-rational and effective product available. So fire up your spray rig, boost her up to about 300psi, don your rubber gloves, full face shield, tyvex suit and rubber boots and spray that trunk with oil. I'm sure you will have many happy and satisfied customers.

Nope, been fun jousting with u, woodville.
I sell and apply Conserve to my customers infested trees just like everyone else. After Mr. JPS posted the pherimone bird control idea I started a post that started with "If you are opposed to chemicals try this:" and it went from there.

Then came your 'elitist' comment about how we should "Do your research, ask questions, and test if needed to find out what works."

Anyway, excellent control can be acheived by applying conserve @ 6 ounces per 100 gallons as a foliar spray after eggs have hatched. Know that 80-90% of defoliation will occur in the last week of caterpillar feeding. You can also look into selling soil mgnt. for defoliated trees ie, fertilization, watering and mulching, as they are recommended to aid in tree recovery. These are 'value added' techniques that you can feel good about selling to your customers.

Back